Even though the usual cost of a domain name is around $14.99 per year, we’ll introduce you to the best free domain name registrars and show you how to occasionally bypass those fees, at least for the first year.
In this article, you’ll learn how to get a free domain name using three proven methods.
We’ll teach you how to get a free domain name with web hosting, without hosting, or through an all-in-one website builder.
Learn when and why you might need a free domain and what to expect after registration.
- Discover multiple ways to get your free domain name, either with a web host or without one
- Learn about hosting providers that offer free domain name registration alongside reliable web hosting services
- Explore free domain registrars and their personal use options
- Understand the typical cost of your desired domain name and how you can sometimes get it for free, at least for the first year
- Gain insights into when and why you should register a free domain name for your online presence
How to Get a Free Domain Name with Hosting
Getting a free domain name when you buy a hosting plan is a good way to start your website without spending too much. Many hosting companies give you this cheap choice, so it’s easy to get your website going.
This part will tell you how this deal works and give a list of good hosting companies that offer free or really cheap domain names when you get a hosting plan.
Why Do Hosting Providers Offer Free Domains?
Before looking at the list of web hosting plans and picking one, it’s important to know why some give free website names.
Hosting companies often do this to get more people to sign up. Giving a free domain with their hosting deal makes it more attractive to people and businesses.
This makes setting up a website easier, which is great for newbies.
Hosting Providers Offering Free or Affordable Domain Registration
- Affordable hosting starts at just INR 246 a month for the first year
- Free domain registration
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Easy website builder
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Read the full review: Hostinger review
- Free domain included
- One-click WordPress installation
- Unmetered bandwidth
- Free SSL certificate
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7/365 customer support
Read the full review: HostGator review
- Free domain registration for the first year
- Recommended by WordPress
- SSL certificate included
- Unlimited bandwidth
- User-friendly interface
- 24/7 customer support.
Read the full review: Bluehost review
4. InMotion Hosting
- Free domain registration
- Secure sockets layer (SSL) included
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Marketing tools
- Automatic backups
- 90-day money-back guarantee
Read the full review: InMotion Hosting review
These hosting companies give free website names and other cool stuff, so it’s a cheap way to make a website.
When picking a company, think about what you need:
- What kind of website you want, if it’s for business or for personal use
- How much money you want to spend
- How much you know about tech
How to Get a Free Domain Without Web Hosting
Next, we’ll see how to get a free website name without buying a hosting service. This can be good for personal things or if you want more control over your website name.
Some companies give out free website names without making you get a hosting deal.
Here are some good options:
|Freenom DNS Service||Freenom DNS Service|
|Dot TK||Dot TK|
|Google Domains||Google Domains|
Free website name places often update their deals and rules on their sites. Remember that what’s free can change, so it’s smart to check often.
Next, we’ll look at getting a free website name with a tool that does everything, making it easy for anyone wanting a simple way to make a website.
How to Get a Free Domain Name with an All-In-One Website Builder
If you’re looking for a hassle-free way to get a free domain name for your website, think about using an all-in-one website builder.
Platforms like Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace often include a free website domain for the first year of use, making it convenient and cost-effective. Here’s how it works:
1. Wix Website Builder
- User-friendly drag-and-drop site builder
- Free domain for the first year with a premium plan
- A wide variety of customizable templates
- Hosting included
- Additional features like SEO tools and e-commerce capabilities
Read the full review: Wix Website Builder review
2. Weebly Website Builder
- Intuitive website building platform
- Free domain for the first year with a paid plan
- Responsive templates for mobile-friendly sites
- Hosting and SSL security included
- eCommerce options available
Read the full review: Weebly review
3. Squarespace Website Builder
- Elegant and visually appealing website designs
- Free domain for the first year with an annual plan
- Integrated blogging and social media tools
- Hosting and SSL included
- Artistically focused templates
Read the full review: Squarespace review
These website tools are great for people and small businesses who want a pro-looking website without needing to code.
Getting a free website name for the first year makes their offer even better.
How Much Does a Domain Name Cost?
You can often get a free website name for the first year with website tools or hosting companies. But it’s good to know the usual prices for website names.
Usually, website names cost about $14.99 every year. However, some hosting deals or website tools give you a free website name as part of their offer.
Remember, even if it’s free at first, you might have to pay later when you renew it. Here are the three most popular registrars and what they charge:
|GoDaddy||$2.99 for the first month, thereafter, $8.99||$22.99/year (first year purchase is required)||$1.99 for the first year, thereafter $21.99/year|
Keep in mind that the cost to renew can change, so ask your company about the price.
When Do You Need to Register a Free Domain Name?
Getting a domain name for free is attractive, but timing is key. Knowing when to secure your domain name can make all the difference. So, when should you consider registering a free domain name?
- Right at Your Project’s Outset: Starting a new website or project? It’s wise to secure a free domain name early on. This lets you lock in your preferred web address so others can’t claim it.
- Prior to Branding and Promotion: Establish your online identity by securing a free domain before introducing your brand to the world. This ensures your online name remains consistent and eliminates the need to change your site’s address later.
- Once Your Vision Is Clear: Settle on a domain only after you’ve mapped out a clear vision for your website or online venture. Knowing your audience, content, and strategy can guide you to a domain name that truly fits.
- Before Someone Else Does: Don’t delay in securing your desired website name. If you procrastinate, someone else might snap up your perfect domain. Remember, “The early bird gets the worm.”
- As You Prepare to Build Your Site: Once you’ve secured your free domain, you’re set to begin your website’s creation journey. Owning that domain might just be the spark you need to embark on your online adventure.
- When Privacy Matters Most: Consider using WHOIS privacy protection when registering your domain. Offered by most providers, this feature safeguards your personal details from spam, identity theft, and unsolicited offers. By getting your website name at the right time for free, you can start your online adventure safely and positively.
Now that you have learned how to get a free domain name, knowing the best domain name generators can be a great help.
You will also want to explore domain name management, parked and AWS domains, and possibly even trademarking your existing domain name.
You may also need a free subdomain or domain extension. We provide links to this valuable information in the following section.
As you progress towards web development, navigating through numerous websites offering information on these topics, especially if you’re not tech-savvy, can be overwhelming. Finding reliable sources can be challenging, which is where we come in to assist you.
Next Steps: What Now?
- Start by designing your website. You can use an easy website builder like WordPress to customize it.
- After your basic website is set up, fill it with SEO content writing.
- Once you have valuable content on your website, optimize it for search engines like Google.
- Share it on social media, through emails, and other methods to create brand awareness by getting the word out.