SEO keyword ranking refers to the placement of a website in the search engine results pages (SERPs) for a specific keyword or query. A higher ranking means your website appears closer to the top of the search results, making it more likely for users to click on it.
To check your SEO keyword rankings, you can use different online tools that show where your website ranks in search results. By keeping an eye on your ranking on a regular basis, you can track your success, find places where you can improve, and adjust your SEO strategies accordingly.
- Local keyword rankings are of utmost significance for businesses targeting specific geographical locations
- Analyzing your competitors’ keyword rankings can provide insights into their SEO strategies, content quality, backlink profiles, and more
- While keyword rankings are important, it’s crucial to look beyond them and monitor other essential metrics to comprehensively understand your SEO performance
- Interpreting and analyzing keyword ranking data is crucial to understand your website’s performance in search engine results
- Checking SEO keyword rankings is essential for unlocking valuable insights and optimizing your website’s performance in search engine results
What Do You Mean by Keyword Ranking in SEO?
Keyword ranking in SEO refers to the position or placement of a website or webpage in search engine results pages (SERPs) for a specific keyword or search query.
It indicates where a website or webpage appears in the organic (unpaid) search results when a user enters a particular keyword or phrase in a search engine.
Tracking keyword rankings helps businesses assess the effectiveness of their SEO efforts, measure their visibility compared to competitors, and make informed decisions to improve their search engine performance.
While this article focuses on tools and strategies for checking SEO keyword rankings, you also need to consider other aspects, such as web hosting. You can read about the hosting provider effect on ranking here.
What Are the Different Types of Keyword Rankings?
Here are common types of keyword rankings:
Organic Keyword Rankings
Organic keyword rankings are vital in driving organic traffic and enhancing website visibility. When a webpage ranks well for relevant keywords in organic search results, it is more likely to attract clicks and visits from users actively seeking information or products related to those keywords.
Local Keyword Rankings
Local keyword rankings are of utmost significance for businesses targeting specific geographical locations. When a business ranks well for local keywords, it increases the visibility and accessibility to potential customers within that area.
Mobile Keyword Rankings
The growing use of smartphones for internet browsing has made mobile keyword rankings increasingly important. With many internet users accessing websites through mobile devices, businesses must optimize their mobile presence to effectively reach and engage their target audience.
Paid Keyword Rankings
Paid keyword rankings are pivotal in search engine advertising and paid search campaigns. By bidding on relevant keywords, businesses can secure top positions in search engine results, ensuring their ads are prominently displayed to users searching for related products or services.
Long-Tail Keyword Rankings
Long-tail keywords are specific and often longer phrases used in search queries, targeting niche or specific topics. They offer several benefits in targeting specific and less competitive search queries. Businesses can attract highly relevant traffic and reach a more specific audience by focusing on long-tail keywords.
Competitor Keyword Rankings
Tracking competitor keyword rankings is essential for gaining insights into their SEO strategies and identifying opportunities for improvement. By monitoring the keywords for which competitors are ranking well, businesses can understand their competitor’s focus areas, target keywords, and content strategies.
Featured Snippet Rankings
Featured snippets hold significant importance in search visibility and click-through rates as they provide users with direct answers to their queries at the top of search engine results pages. By earning a featured snippet position, businesses can attract more attention, gain credibility, and increase click-through rates.
What Are the Top 7 Tools for Checking SEO Keyword Rankings?
There are several tools available that can help you check and monitor SEO keyword rankings. Here are some popular tools:
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free tool provided by Google to monitor and analyze their website’s performance in Google search results. It provides valuable insights into keyword rankings, search traffic, website indexing, and other important data. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to set up Google Search Console, verify your website, and access keyword ranking data:
- Go to the Google Search Console website (https://search.google.com/search-console) and sign in using your Google account. If you don’t have an account, create one.
- Click the “Add Property” button and enter your website’s URL in the provided field. Enter the complete URL, including the “http://” or “https://” prefix.
- Choose the verification method that suits you best and follow the instructions provided by Google to complete the verification process.
- Once your website is verified, you’ll be redirected to the Google Search Console dashboard. You can access various reports and tools to analyze your website’s performance here.
Semrush is a comprehensive SEO tool that provides a wide range of features for keyword research, competitor analysis, and rank tracking. SEO professionals and digital marketers use it to optimize websites and improve search engine rankings.
One of Semrush’s key features is its rank-tracking functionality, which allows users to monitor the performance of their targeted keywords over time. Here’s how to use Semrush’s rank-tracking feature:
- After logging into your Semrush account, navigate to the “Rank Tracking” section.
- Start by setting up a new campaign by entering the domain or subdomain you want to track. You can also specify the country and device (desktop or mobile) for tracking rankings.
- Next, you can add the keywords you want to track. You can manually input the keywords or upload a list of keywords in bulk.
- Semrush offers several advanced settings for tracking keywords, such as search engine selection, location targeting, and tracking frequency. Customize these settings according to your needs.
- Once the campaign is set up, Semrush will start tracking the selected keywords and provide you with regular updates on their rankings.
Ahrefs is a popular and powerful SEO tool known for its comprehensive features, including keyword research, backlink analysis, and rank tracking. It provides valuable insights and data to optimize websites and improve search engine rankings.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to set up a rank-tracking campaign in Ahrefs and leverage its features for keyword ranking analysis:
- After logging into your Ahrefs account, navigate to the “Rank Tracker” section.
- Click on the “New Project” button to set up a new rank-tracking campaign.
- Enter the domain or URL you want to track and select the search engine (e.g., Google, Bing) and location for which you want to track rankings. You can also specify the devices (desktop or mobile) and language settings.
- Next, add the keywords you want to track. You can manually input keywords or import them in bulk using a CSV file.
- Ahrefs offers advanced settings for rank tracking. Customize these settings according to your preferences, such as tracking frequency, search result type (organic, featured snippet, etc.), and search depth (top 10, top 100).
- Once the campaign is set up, Ahrefs will start tracking the selected keywords and provide you with ranking data and updates.
Moz is a comprehensive SEO software suite that offers a range of tools for keyword research, link building, and rank tracking. It provides valuable insights and data to optimize websites and improve search engine rankings.
One of Moz’s key features is its rank-tracking functionality, which allows users to monitor keyword rankings and track their performance over time. Here’s how Moz’s rank-tracking feature works:
- After logging into your Moz account, navigate to the “Rank Tracker” section.
- Create a new campaign by entering the domain or URL you want to track and selecting the search engine (e.g., Google, Bing) and location for which you want to track rankings. You can also choose the devices (desktop or mobile) and specify the search engine language.
- Add the keywords you want to track. You can manually input keywords or upload them in bulk using a CSV file.
- Moz provides advanced settings for rank tracking. Customize these settings according to your preferences, such as tracking frequency, competitor tracking, and local or national tracking.
- Once the campaign is set up, Moz will start tracking the selected keywords and provide you with regular updates on their rankings.
SERPWatcher is a dedicated rank-tracking tool offered by Mangools. It is highly regarded for its accuracy and user-friendly interface, making it easy to monitor keyword rankings effectively. Here’s an overview of how to set up a rank-tracking project in SERPWatcher and monitor keyword rankings over time:
- Sign in to your Mangools account and navigate to the SERPWatcher tool.
- Click on the “Create a project” button to set up a new rank-tracking project.
- Enter the domain or URL you want to track and specify the country or location for which you want to track rankings. You can also choose the search engine (e.g., Google, Bing) and device type (desktop or mobile).
- Add the keywords you want to track. You can manually enter keywords individually or import them in bulk using a CSV file.
- SERPWatcher offers advanced settings for rank tracking. Customize these settings based on your preferences, such as tracking frequency, preferred language, and search result type (organic, featured snippet, etc.).
- Once the project is set up, SERPWatcher will start tracking the selected keywords and provide you with regular updates on their rankings.
Rank Tracker by SEO PowerSuite
Rank Tracker is a comprehensive tool that allows you to monitor keyword rankings across multiple search engines. It provides valuable insights into your website’s performance in search results.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to set up a rank-tracking project, add keywords, track rankings across search engines, and generate reports using Rank Tracker:
- Launch Rank Tracker and click “New Project” to set up a rank-tracking project.
- Enter the website URL, select a specific webpage you want to track, and click “Next”.
- Choose the search engines you want to track rankings on. Rank Tracker supports multiple search engines, including Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Select the desired search engines and click “Next”.
- Enter the keywords you want to track. You can manually input keywords or import them in bulk using a CSV file. Click “Next” to proceed.
- Configure advanced settings, such as language, location, preferred search method (organic, maps, images, etc.), and additional search settings. Customize these settings according to your preferences and click “Finish” to create the project.
- Rank Tracker will collect ranking data for the specified keywords across the selected search engines. This process may take some time, depending on the number of keywords and search engines.
- Once the data is collected, you can view your keywords’ current rankings, search volumes, and other relevant metrics. Rank Tracker provides detailed information, including position changes, visibility scores, and competition levels.
Rank Ranger is an all-in-one SEO platform that provides a comprehensive set of tools, including rank tracking, to monitor and improve your website’s performance in search engine rankings.
Here’s an overview of how to set up rank tracking in Rank Ranger and utilize its features for tracking keyword rankings and analyzing performance:
- Log in to your Rank Ranger account and navigate the rank tracking section.
- Click on “Add New Campaign” to create a new rank-tracking campaign.
- Enter the project details, including the website URL, target search engines (such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo), and preferred location settings. You can also choose additional parameters like language and search result type.
- Add the keywords you want to track. You can manually input keywords or import them in bulk using a CSV file.
- Customize rank tracking settings, such as tracking frequency and the number of search engine results, to include in the report.
- Once the campaign is set up, Rank Ranger will start tracking the selected keywords and provide you with regular updates on their rankings.
What Are the Steps to Check SEO Keyword Rankings?
To check SEO keyword rankings, you can follow these steps:
Identify the Keywords
Determine the specific keywords or phrases you want to check the rankings for. These keywords should be relevant to your website or content.
Choose a Rank-Tracking Tool
Select a reliable keyword-tracking tool or SEO software that provides rank-tracking functionality. Some popular options include Semrush, Ahrefs, Moz, Google Search Console, and Rank Tracker.
Set Up Your Rank-Tracking Campaign
Create a new project or campaign within the selected tool. Input the keywords you identified in Step 1 into the tracking tool. You can manually add them individually or upload them in bulk using a CSV file.
Configure Search Engine and Location Settings
Enter your website URL or domain, select the search engine(s) you want to track rankings on (e.g., Google, Bing), and specify the location or target audience if applicable.
Run the Initial Rank Check
Once you’ve added the keywords, initiate the rank-tracking process. The tool will start monitoring the search engine rankings for your specified keywords.
Monitor and Analyze the Results
Review the rankings provided by the tool. You can see each keyword’s current position, historical data, search volume, and other relevant metrics. The tool may offer additional insights and data to help you interpret the results.
Track Competitors (Optional)
Analyzing your competitors’ keyword rankings can provide insights into their SEO strategies, content quality, backlink profiles, and more. You can identify keywords they are targeting successfully, discover opportunities where you can outrank them, and learn from their best practices.
Monitor Other Metrics
While keyword rankings are important, it’s crucial to look beyond them and monitor other essential metrics to comprehensively understand your SEO performance. Monitor other important metrics, such as organic traffic, click-through rates (CTRs), and conversions.
By tracking these additional metrics, you can gain a more holistic view of your SEO performance and identify improvement areas beyond keyword rankings.
Make Data-Driven Optimizations
Use the insights from your keyword rankings to optimize your SEO strategy. Identify keywords that are performing well and those that require improvement. Adjust your content, on-page optimization, and backlinking efforts accordingly.
Track Progress Over Time
Regularly check the keyword rankings to track any changes over time. This will help you identify trends, improvements, or declines in your search engine visibility.
How Do You Interpret and Analyze Keyword Ranking Data?
Monitor Trends and Fluctuations
Compare current rankings with historical data to identify trends and patterns. Look for improvements or declines in rankings and note any significant changes.
Compare With Competitors
Compare your rankings with those of your competitors. Identify areas where you are outperforming and areas you can improve. Analyzing competitor rankings provides insights into their strategies and helps you identify opportunities for optimization.
Consider Search Volume and Competition
Take into account the search volume of keywords. High search volume keywords indicate higher search demand, while low search volume keywords may be more niche or specific. Balancing both can help you target a broader audience and capture targeted traffic.
Analyze Click-Through Rates (CTRs)
Consider the visibility score or average position data provided by your SEO tool. Higher visibility or average position indicates better exposure in search results. Additionally, analyze the CTRs of your rankings. A high CTR suggests that your meta titles and descriptions effectively attract clicks.
Segment Data by Device and Location
By analyzing keyword rankings specific to different devices, such as desktop and mobile, you can tailor your optimization strategies to optimize each device’s user experience and performance.
Segmenting keyword ranking data by device and location allows for more targeted and effective SEO strategies that align with user behavior, ultimately enhancing your website’s visibility, user experience, and conversion potential.
Analyze Landing Page Performance
While keyword rankings provide insight into your website’s visibility in search results, the landing pages determine the user experience and conversion potential.
Assessing metrics such as bounce rate, time on page, and conversion rate helps identify areas for improvement, allowing you to optimize landing pages to better align with user intent and enhance the overall user experience. You can read about the SEO and web hosting connection here.
Utilize Additional Metrics
Utilize additional data and tools your SEO software provides, such as keyword difficulty, search volume trends, and keyword suggestions. This information can guide your keyword selection and optimization.
Keep an Eye on Algorithm Updates
Search engines like Google regularly update their algorithms to improve the quality and relevance of search results.
By staying updated on algorithm updates through industry news, webmaster guidelines, and reputable SEO resources, you can proactively adjust your SEO strategies to align with the latest requirements and best practices.
What Are Some Common Issues in Keyword Rankings & How Do You Avoid Them?
Inaccurate Keyword Ranking Data
To address inaccurate keyword ranking data, it’s essential to use multiple tools for cross-validation and consider personalization and localized rankings.
You should also stay updated on algorithm changes and conduct regular website audits to address any technical issues. By taking these steps, you can obtain more reliable and accurate insights into your keyword rankings and make informed decisions to optimize your SEO strategy.
Fluctuations in Keyword Rankings
Natural fluctuations in keyword rankings are a normal part of the SEO process. It’s more important to focus on long-term trends and the overall effectiveness of your SEO strategies.
Continuously monitor and analyze your keyword rankings, adapt your SEO efforts, and strive for a comprehensive and well-rounded optimization approach.
Penalty and Algorithmic Changes
Penalties and algorithmic changes highlight the importance of adhering to search engine guidelines and implementing sustainable SEO strategies.
Regular monitoring, staying informed about industry updates, and maintaining a strong, user-focused website can help minimize the negative impact of penalties and adapt to algorithmic changes to maintain or improve keyword rankings.
Technical Issues Impacting Rankings
Several technical issues can impact keyword rankings. Common ones include server errors, robots.txt issues, or crawl ability problems. Regular website audits, monitoring for technical issues, and addressing them promptly are essential to maintain optimal keyword rankings.
Work closely with your web development team or SEO professionals to identify and resolve any technical issues affecting your website’s visibility and rankings in search engine results.
Checking SEO keyword rankings is crucial for unlocking valuable insights and optimizing your website’s performance in search engine results. Check SEO keyword rankings effectively and unlock valuable insights that guide your SEO strategy.
Regular rankings monitoring allows you to make data-driven decisions, optimize your website’s visibility, and drive organic traffic to achieve better overall search engine performance.
Next Steps: What Now?
- Learn how to improve your visibility in search engines
- Improve Web Traffic
- Explore the relationship between Hosting Provider & SEO
- Check out these SEO tips for small businesses
- Discover technical SEO
- Learn SEO basics