A remote desktop hosting stores all your information and files on a data center server. Your data will not occupy your PC, laptop, or similar hardware. Instead, you can find it on a host computer. You can imagine this server as a space you “rent” on the Internet. It’s on the cloud, so you will be able to assess your data from anywhere, at any time.
It’s where the term “working remotely” comes from. When a person works from home or a cafe, instead of the office, they are “remote.” The same applies to the server. If the server is outside your hardware (laptop, computer, etc.), it’s a remote server.
Monthly Update - December 2021
- HostAdvice Special Deals: 50% Discount on Flaunt7 available until May 1st, 2025.
- InterServer: HostAdvice Special Deals: 90% Off Special Promotion which expires on 9/1/22.
- Contabo performed urgent maintenance on all Virtual Dedicated Servers.
- Contabo performed urgent maintenance on all VPS.
If you have the credentials to log into the RDP server, you will also have the control and autonomy to utilize the resources and data hosted on it. At this point, you will also be able to restore or back up data, update applications, or add other authorized users.
An Overview of The Top RDP VPS Providers
Fast forward, I have compared the performers on the market in terms of the qualities essential for remote desktop hosting.
|Pricing||Starting at $4.00 / month||Starting at $3.99 / month||Starting at $2.5/ month||Starting at $6.74 / month||Starting at $4.99 / month|
What To Look For In A Remote Hosting Provider?
Here’s why you should consider the factors as mentioned before when choosing a quality remote hosting provider:
- Uptime as it shows the availability of hosted cloud service to end-users
- Backups, encryption, firewalls, antivirus, and other security-related features
- Expert reviews and customer testimonials on HostAdvice
Local PC Vs. Remote Server
To better explain, let’s see how the remote server differs from your home PC.
|Ownership and Maintenance||You know, your PC||You rent a server on another device usually owned by a company and managed by a team of professionals|
|Server Name and Access||–||You must know the name and the location of the server you wish to access|
|Security Features||You can install AVG or something||You transmit and share the data, so extensive security mechanisms are essential|
|Performance||Average-performing devices (local, home-owned machines)||Remote servers are high-performance computers having large memory and storage space|
|Access to Data||Hope that there won’t be an outage and that your home internet connection be stable enough||The server administrator assigns each user to a security group that determines their level of access on the server|
|Internet Connection||Mostly unstable||Requires network connectivity|
|Speed||Direct responses allowing for faster speeds||Acts through an intermediary (the Internet) slowing down the speeds, however, with a good server you will be able to watch movies without any delays.|
|Managing Data||You can copy web pages and other files in the local web server root directory||You can copy and paste content directly on the server and in-between your server and PC|
Now, let’s see how a remote server can assist you in your day-to-day activities.
Why Go For A Remote Desktop Hosting?
Here’s a list of the top three reasons why you might choose an RDP over a local server.
- Integration across different platforms
Whether you are an individual looking to facilitate your daily activities, or an organization with many employees, integration across platforms can be especially useful. Say you keep the RDP for solo use. You can play games, watch movies, or do any other routine through it. Essentially, you will not need to update your laptop or PC, ever. The second case scenario is to use the RDP as a dedicated server with multiple users. As explained, each remote server has an administrator with credentials. At this point, you can add other users and determine their level of access on the server. In turn, your team will always be on the same page, as they all have the same information regardless of their hardware or software type.
- Low risk and costs
Remote hosting reduces expenses as it cuts down the need for expensive software licenses. Better yet, it eliminates the need for locally hosting software infrastructures, such as servers, cabling, and network materials. Apart from the initial investment, remote hosting also cuts maintenance costs. Essentially, another entity is responsible for maintaining server space, addressing and eliminating issues or updates. Usually, web hosting companies offer RDH as a flexible, pay-as-you-go solution. As your invoice will probably depend on the number of users, this implies a low risk for failure.
- Simplified Customer Support
When you purchase a remote hosting model, you transfer the customer support task to the web hosting provider. In turn, this leaves you, as the customer, more time for strategic thinking and growth.
The Best Remote Desktop Hosting Providers
Enough about the definitions. Let’s see what the market has to offer.
Here’s a list of the best remote desktop hostings.
Kamatera offers a pay-as-you-go cloud infrastructure. Their cloud servers are high-powered, virtual machines that can be tailored to your individual needs to a certain degree.
While some products are fixed, including load balancers and firewalls, you can customize the CPU and memory to your specific requirements.
As their customer, you can start small and upgrade to a cluster of 104-core, 512GB RAM servers. Better yet, if you feel that you need to scale down, you can also do so.
Kamatera’s Cloud Infrastructure offers:
- Server set-up in less than 1 minute
- Instant scaling up or down as required
- 99.95% uptime guaranteed
- No hardware maintenance
- Low total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Simple backup and monitoring
- Unbeatable pricing
- Fast background storage processing
- Offline backups
- Pre-Installed Web Hosting Panel
- Load Balancer
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Cloud Software Licensing
- Managed Cloud Server
- Managed Microsoft Applications
- Migration Service
- Disaster Recovery
- Consulting and Training
Kamatera claims to have the fastest cloud on the planet, featuring:
- Fastest Intel Xeon Platinum/Cascade Lake Processors, 2.7GHz+
- 40 Gbit Public & Private Networking
- Solid-State Drive (SSD) Storage
- Up to 104 vCPUs & 512 GB RAM per server
- Guaranteed Dedicated Resources
- User-Friendly Cloud Management Console
The best part about Kamatera’s Cloud is their premium human support 24/7 and the 30-day free trial.
They decided to take things to another level, offering the Managed Cloud. Using this infrastructure, you can get a complete service package where their team designs, builds and maintains your cloud computing infrastructure.
Flaunt7 offers nine different Cloud VPS Hosting plans, offering up to 128GB DDR4 RAM, 24 CPU Core @3.6GHz, 3000GB NVMe SSD Storage, 1 IPv4 (Upgradable to 10), Unlimited Bandwidth, and 1GBps Port.
As part of their offer, you can find next-generation servers featuring:
- KVM Technology
- NVMe SSD Drives
- 1 Click Applications
- 40GBps Uplink
- 99.99% Uptime SLA
- 24/7/365 Monitoring and Alerts
- Power Failure Backup
- Root Access
- Two-Factor Authentication
- AI Protected Firewall
- Layer 7 DDoS protection
- Regular Backups
- CPU monitor
- Bandwidth Graph
- Disk Usage Graph
- RAM Usage Monitor
- Boost SEO ranking
- Social Sharing
- API Access
- SSH Keys
As Flaunt7’s uptime exceeds the benchmark of 99.9%, they will keep your cloud up at all times. Another unique feature I liked about it is that Flaunt7 enables unified collaboration with distinct user roles without sharing login credentials.
Their Cloud Virtual Private Servers are flexible solutions that allow you to adjust the CPU cores, memory, storage, and transfer. More precisely, there are 16 levels to choose from, starting from 1 Core, 2048 MB Memory, 30 GB SSD Storage, and 1 TB Transfer. Upgrading to the top level, you can get 16 Cores, 32768 MB Memory, 480 GB SSD Storage, and 16 TB Transfer.
Using Windows VPS, you can build and manage multiple sites from a single dashboard with 24/7/365 support. They provide this service through the Plesk hosting control panel core.
As part of their offer, you can find Cloud VPS servers featuring:
- Lightning-Fast Speeds
- KVM, Openvz, Virtuozzo, And Hyper-V Virtualization Platforms
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
- Remote Backup Service
- Webuzo Control Panel
- Quick Installations Using Linux Package
- Sqlite, MongoDB, MariaDB, PostgreSQL Databases
You can also integrate tools such as:
- DigiCert SSL
- Let’s Encrypt
- Backup to Cloud Pro
As part of this offer, you will find automated AI-powered regression testing, cloning, staging environment, backup and restore features, enhanced security features, ranking boost in search engines, and regular backups.
The pre-installed Webuzo control panel provides 1 CPU Core, 2GB Memory, and 30GB SSD. It’s a free and easy-to-use tool that allows you to deploy 100’s of apps on your cloud VPS with no additional control panel expenses.
Hostwinds offers ten different Cloud Server Hosting plans. The cheapest one offers 1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 30 GB Storage, 1 TB Bandwidth. You can upgrade up to 16 CPUs, 96 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage, and 9 TB Bandwidth.
Hostwinds allows you to get your server up and running in seconds. The best part about it is customization. You can select from a wide variety of popular operating systems, pre-built applications, and templates to jump-start your cloud experience. Also, they allow for multiple server locations to choose from.
As part of Hostwinds’ offer, you can find Cloud Servers featuring:
- SSD Drives For Faster Processing Of Data
- Custom Templates
- 99.9999% Uptime Guarantee
- SSH Key Management
- Instant Scalability
- Enterprise Firewall
- Block Storage Volumes
- Object-Based Storage System
- 24/7/365 Support Through Live Chat Or Ticketing System
- Several Billing Cycles (Hourly Through Triennially)
- Effortless Migration And Transfers
Through their user-friendly Cloud Control Portal, Hostwinds
- DNS Management
- Firewall Management
- Volume Storage Management
- Creation Of Snapshots
- Ability To Deploy Load Balancers On Demand
- Ipv4 And Ipv6 Management
- Object Storage Containers
- A Robust API
Contabo allows you to have a windows RDS with one of their VPS or dedicated servers from different operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and mobile devices.
The Dedicated Virtual Servers offer up to 8 Physical Cores, 64 GB RAM, 480 GB NVMe SSD, and 1 Gbit/s Port.
In addition, you can benefit from:
- No Extra Fees For Transfer
- Can Host Virtual Machines
- DDoS Protection Included
- 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Network Included
- Additional SSD Storage Available
- OS Reinstall and Reboot Through Web Interface
- DNS Management Through Web Interface
- VNC Access Included
- Uptime Monitoring Available
- Additional IPs Available
- Domains and SSL Certificates Available
- Additional Backup Space Available
Contabo works with Archlinux, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Windows, cPanel, LAMP, Plesk, Proxmox, and Webmin.
Contabo offers three pillars of security, including constant CCTV monitoring and access control, the highest guarantee of maintaining high security for customers, and two-factor authentication.
What makes Contabo unique are its data centers in key regions around the globe, incredible prices, first-class security, awards, and recognitions.
Remote desktop hosting can significantly facilitate your business’s operations, as you will leave a part of your operation to a third party. What’s more, the cloud structure allows for integration across devices and locations, getting your team on the same page.
Still, different remote desktop hostings provide for different features, such as security or support. So, you need to choose one according to your needs and preferences.
- Interserver offered 65% off Web Hosting
- Interserver offered Exclusive offer for viewers: $0.01 for the first month (coupon code: tryinterserver)
- Hostwinds Announced its return and new changes
- Contabo Performed urgent maintenance on all VPS
- Contabo Performed urgent maintenance on all Virtual Dedicated Server
- Contabo introduced the Docker Engine on common Linux distributions
- InterServer had an exclusive offer for HostAdvice users: $0.01 for the first month
- Contabo introduced Debian 11, a new storage option (NVMe), a new version of Virtual Dedicated Servers (VDS), and added Windows Server 2022 option
- InterServer had an exclusive discount for blog readers
- Contabo introduced High-Performance VPS with NVMe Drives
- Changes in pricing
You may also want to look at: