Stumbled upon the “Access Is Denied” error on Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Session Host. We’ve got you covered. In this tutorial, we’ve discussed three of the most effective fixes to resolve this error. Keep in mind to apply these in the order that they’re given if the problem persists.
Fix #1: Log in to the Administrator Account
More often than not, if you’re getting the “Access Is Denied” error on Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Session Host, you might be lacking administrator privileges. In other words, to resolve this issue, you need to be logged in using the admin account. In many cases, running the remote desktop application with the administrator account resolves the error. So, make sure you follow this method before trying out other techniques.
Fix #2: Add the Domain Group to the Remote Desktop Users Group
Adding the domain group to the remote desktop users group also does the trick in most cases. We do it by leveraging the group policies of the windows server 2022. This method is a little lengthy. So, be sure to follow it carefully.
- Go to the Server Manager through the Windows start menu.
- Locate and select Group Policy Management in the Tools tab.
- You will be able to see the current forest of the domain in the following window. Right-click on the domain and select the “Create a GPO in this domain and link it here” option.
- You will see the prompt to create the Group Policy Object (GPO). Name it ‘Restricted Groups’ and proceed by hitting okay. You’ll be able to see it in the domain structure.
- Link the created GPO to the terminal server organizational unit.
- Now, right-click on the GPO and hit Edit.
- In the Group Policy Object Editor, enter the following code:
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Restricted Groups\
- Then, right-click on the Restricted Groups GPO and click on Add Group.
- In the Add Group window, choose the desired location by clicking on Browse and then the Locations option.
- In the ‘Enter the object names to select’ field, add the remote desktop users group.
- Now, click on the Check Names option. You could also click on the Advanced button, and then hit the Find Now option.
- From the list that appears on the screen, locate and select the Remote Desktop Users group and then hit OK.
- Save all the changes and close the Add Groups window.
- Then, open the Remote Desktop Users properties and select Members of this group. Then click on Add and Browse.
- Now, in the Select Users or Groups window, enter the name of the domain group.
- Select the Check Names option to review and then click OK.
- Finally, save the changes. You will have successfully added the domain group to the Remote Desktop Users group.
Fix #3: Troubleshooting and Resetting the Windows
If none of the above two fixes work, another option is to troubleshoot and reset the windows 2022 server.
- Go to the start menu and restart your system by holding the shift + enter key.
- Click on Troubleshoot and then hit Reset this PC.
- Follow the instructions given to successfully reset your system and resolve the “Access Is Denied” error on Windows Server 2022.
The “Access is denied” error may arise for a variety of reasons on Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Session Host. The three methods mentioned in this article are the most effective fixes to resolve this error.
- Your search to the best windows hosting can end by clicking here.