Python Hosting in 2019 – The Contenders for the Best Service Around
In a world in which AI and machine learning reign supreme, Python continues to dominate as one of the most important high-level coding languages available to programmers.
Yet while Python is one of the most widely used scripting languages, not every hosting plan has the resources and support you need to code or run your Python-based applications with ease.
As you browse web hosts purporting to be Python hosts, here are some issues that should be top of mind:
- Is it speedy?
- Which version of Python does it have installed on its servers?
- How many Python application frameworks does it support?
- Does it include Python-specific tech support?
While there are other factors that can affect your overall Python hosting experience, these are some of the main topics you should investigate before you sign with a hosting provider.
For more on what a Python hosting solution should include, read our expert reviews and browse our user reviews to get the best Python hosting deal for you.
What is Python?
With a straightforward syntax and a penchant for simplicity, Python is one of the world’s most popular and most beloved scripting languages.
Since its inception in the late eighties, Python has gone on to win programming devotees that appreciate the speed with which the code can be written, its cross-platform versatility and its ability to handle both structured and object-oriented programming.
While Python can be used for a great many purposes, including building web and desktop applications, its ability to handle large datasets has made it an integral component of AI and Machine Learning. In that light, it’s not difficult to understand why pioneering technology companies such as Google, Amazon, and NASA use Python in their coding.
Though Python may not be the fastest scripting language, there are different modules and compilers that can easily translate Python into C in cases in which load speed is critical.
Why do You Need Python Hosting?
If you’re building a website in Python, or if you’re planning on running web applications written in Python, it’s important to seek out a web hosting solution that specializes in Python.
As a primarily server-side scripting language, Python needs the servers it’s interacting with to have a Python interpreter in order to load Python-based applications upon user requests. If you’re not going with an expert Python hosting solution, this could be tricky, since you need the interpreter to match the specific version of Python you’re using.
For all of its merits, Python is a resource-heavy programming language. To protect the pooled resources of shared plans, most Python hosting plans only offer cloud, VPS, or dedicated options.
Though these plans do come with a higher price tag than a shared plan, the upside is that you have the ability to run Python scripts without worrying that you might unintentionally take down or significantly decelerate a server you’re sharing with others.
If you know in advance that your research usage won’t be uniform, some Python hosts offer pay per usage schemes that enable you to pay for what you actually end up using and not a higher blanket price.
Moreover, Python hosting makes it incredibly easy for you to code in Python by providing at least some of your favorite Python coding frameworks. Django, Web2py, and Pylon are just some of the Python frameworks that Python hosts offer, along with additional libraries and modules.
What are the Benefits of Python Hosting?
- You get a pre-configured Python software environment. With Python hosting, there’s no need to waste time installing software on your server or setting up different web application frameworks. Your Python host has taken care of this for you, allowing you to dive right into your coding.
- You have access to the resources you need. Whether you’ll be using long-running or short-running processes, you’ll have the resources to run your python code without a hitch.
- Your server is optimized for the version of Python you’re running. Python hosts offer multiple versions of Python support as well as up-to-date modules to ensure your script runs in the exact way you intend it to.
What Factors to Consider for Python Hosting
- Does it come with fast page load speeds? As we mentioned above, Python isn’t the fastest-loading programming language, and you certainly don’t want to slow it down any further with unrelated server issues. Check to see that the Python host you’re looking into is utilizing tools to speed up your load times, such as CDN, a choice between multiple data centers and caching.
- How Python-savvy is its tech support? Even hosts with tech support staffed by developers around the clock may not be proficient in Python. If you’re going to be doing a lot of coding in Python if you’re a Python novice, you want to make sure that the host’s support staff is not only accessible 24/7 through a number of channels but that they really know their Python stuff.
- Which Python version is it running? This is more on you than on the Python host. To avoid wasting your time and theirs, contact a Python host to guarantee they have servers running the version of Python you plan on coding in.
- How many Python web application frameworks does it support? Different Python frameworks work best for projects of different scales, and you’ll know best whether you need a microframework or a full-stack framework. That said, your programming needs may change over time and you want to know that your Python host has the frameworks to help you accommodate these changing needs.
Choose the Best Python Web Hosting
Python hosting solutions are the best way to code and run Python applications on the web. Now that you’ve read this primer on Python hosting, head over to our user reviews to get a real sense of which Python hosts have what it takes to make your Python hosting experience exceptional.