What is .cn Domain?
The .cn domain represents the official country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Republic of China. This domain was introduced on 28 November 1990. By the end of 2022, there were 20,101,491 .cn domains registered. The reason why this domain came out was for Chinese entities, but now it’s popular in the whole country.
In Which Scenarios Should You Use the .cn Domain?
The .cn domain is best if you want to focus your business on the Chinese market. However, anyone can register .cn domain. Let’s have a look at the most common usages:
- Localizing your business in the mainland of China
- Expanding your international business among particular audiences
- Promoting unique Chinese products and services
Overall, China has pretty flexible regulations around the .cn domain. The primary platform for registering this domain is CNNIC. This registry allows you to combine Chinese characters, English letters, Arabic numerals, and half-width connectors (horizontal lines).
However, you’re not allowed to include spaces and special characters like !, $, &, ?. Also, you can’t repeat the usage of the horizontal lines.
Furthermore, you need to pay attention to the maximum length of your domain name. You can develop a name with 63 characters at most. To check the size, you can visit the Online Transcoding of Chinese Domain Names website.
However, you need to make sure not to infringe trademarks and brands that already exist, as you may face legal accusations. Therefore, keep your .cn domain unique, short, and simple. The only documents you’ll need for registering the domain will be proof of identification.
How to Register .cn Domain?
To register .cn domain, you need to stick to the registration procedure that CNNIC implies. However, you can find another registry and buy .cn domain from there. Besides this, it’s crucial to open the Whois Lookup and check whether your desired domain is available for usage so that you can avoid lawsuits.
Steps on How to Buy .cn Domain
- Prepare required documents – as China allows anyone to register .cn domain, you just need to submit the domain name you want to register, the hosts of the primary and secondary domain name servers, and if you’re a natural person, you need to provide your name, ID number, type of certificate, mailing address, contact number, and email address. However, if the applicant is a legal person or an unincorporated organization, then CNNIC requests the name of the unit, the organization certificate number, certificate type, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
- Select a satisfactory registrar from the list of registrars certified by CNNIC or find another domain registry that provides the .cn domain.
- Add the domain to your cart and buy it. After this, you’ll receive an URL of your website and become the owner of your unique .cn domain. Also, you need to verify the domain.
- Once you buy .cn domain and launch it online, you must utilize advanced domain privacy measures. More precisely, you can choose from two-factor authentication, limiting access, strong passwords, domain status notifications, and SSL certificates. As a result, you’ll ensure a robust shield for your DNS.
Our Recommended Places to Register
The first registrar for registering a .cn domain name is GoDaddy. This company is the leading one on the market as it is the largest domain registrar in the world. On top of this, GoDaddy provides many great security features, like DNSSEC, which Norid recommends. But you’ll also get SSL certificates and WAFs. The best part is that you get free lifetime privacy, along with 24/7 customer support and real-time monitoring.
Marcaria is the next .cn domain registrar. With this platform, you can launch a website with the extensions .cn, .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn, .sh.cn, and .bj.cn. But that’s not all. Marcaria comes with customer support that will guide you through all issues.
Last but not least is 101domain. You can buy .cn domain with world-class support, free forwarding, web hosting, and a custom email address. Also, it has a user-friendly interface that makes the whole process flow smoothly.
Perfect Partners for Your .cn Domain
Hosting – If you think that the first step for launching a website is only buying a domain, you’re a bit mistaken. Besides this, you need to choose a web hosting provider that will support your website and handle the technical aspects of your site. As a result, you’ll get improved performance and more visitors. However choosing the right hosting service can be tricky, so it’s best to explore the following site.
SSL Protection – SSL certificates contribute to a higher Google ranking, making your website more accessible to the audience. But without SSL protection, your website will be more vulnerable and ranked lower. That’s why you need to include an SSL certificate that you can get either through your web host or by purchasing it online.
Premium DNS – To prevent DNS DDoS attacks, you need to implement the premium DNS. This feature helps you enhance your business and provides a robust layer of safety for you and your customers, as hackers won’t be able to interfere with your data.
Private Email – A private email helps you achieve a more professional look. Thanks to it, you can include your domain name in your email address, and also provides better protection as it’s not public like Yahoo, Hotmail, or Outlook.
Domain Information for .cn
|Minimum Registration Period
|Maximum Registration Period
|Minimum Renewal Period
|Maximum Renewal Period
|Is Domain Privacy Supported
|Are IDN Domains Supported
|Is RegistrarLock Supported
|Is DNSSEC Supported
Popular .cn Domains
Among millions of .cn domains, here are the most popular ones:
- gov.cn (Ahref’s rank: 41) – gov.cn is the Chinese Central Government’s official web page.
- 360.cn (Ahref’s rank: 92) – 360.cn is a Chinese Internet security company for antivirus software, web browsers, and mobile application store.
- dbankcloud.cn (Ahref’s rank: 52) – dbankcloud.cn is a Chinese multinational technology company that provides telecommunications equipment and sells consumer electronics, including smartphones.
.cn Domain Alternatives
.cn is the only Chinese ccTLD. However, you can choose an international TLD that works worldwide, such as:
.com – this is the most popular domain name extension that will definitely reach many people.
.net – you can enter the online world with .net, as it’s the most common domain extension.
.org – this alternative provides a great degree of professionalism and authority for your website.