What is .it Domain?
.it is the national top-level domain (ccTLD) for Italy. The first request for a unique domain was in 1987, while the first .it domain became active on January 1, 1988. Firstly, only entities in Italy could register .it domain. But now, it is available for all citizens living in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA), the Vatican State, the Republic of San Marino, and the Swiss Confederation.
In Which Scenarios Should You Use the .it Domain?
While the .it domain was once used by entities, now you can create any website that will help you with different objectives, such as:
- Localizing your business in a particular country
- Catering to many people’s needs
- Promoting a particular service or product from Italy
The .it domain is pretty flexible. However, it’s a bit geographically limited. More precisely, anyone who is at an adult age and has citizenship, residence, or commercial headquarters in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA), in the State of the Vatican, in the Republic of San Marino, in the Swiss Confederation, and in the UK, can register .it domain.
While there are no strict rules around the .it domain, there are still some things you need to keep in mind. The .it domain name should consist only of the letters from a to z, digits from 0 to 9 and a hyphen.
However, you can’t include the hyphen at the beginning and at the end of the domain name or start the name with the character sequence “xn.” Additionally, the .it domain needs to contain a minimum of 3 characters and a maximum of 63 characters.
Also, there are predefined structures of geographical areas that you can include in your domain name, such as pisa.it or toscana.it. However, you’re not allowed to choose a domain name that consists of an Internet term, like mail.it.
How to Buy .it Domain?
Before you buy .it domain, you must check whether your desired domain name is available. You can do this by visiting the WhoIS Lookup website. If it is, you can start the process and register .it domain in no time. However, remember to read all Italian regulations carefully before you start.
- Choose a registrar – Although the nic.it registry supports the whole process, it doesn’t directly register your domain. You need to find a reliable .it registrar from the list on the official nic.it website.
- Submit needed documents – The only documents you need are proof of living address, age, and identity.
- Contact your registry – After finding a domain name and registrar, you need to continue managing your domain. This means you’ll get an Authinfo code that is unique only for your domain name and helps you verify it.
- Buy .it domain – After purchasing your .it domain name, you will get the respective URL address, meaning you’re now the owner of that domain.
- Protect your domain – As hackers cause chaos with their cyberattacks, you must provide the best protection for your .it domain. In other words, you need to employ strong domain privacy measures. More precisely, you can go for two-factor authentication, limiting access, domain status notifications, and SSL certificates. As a result, you’ll receive top-notch safety for your domain name system (DNS).
Our Recommended Places to Register
The number one pick is GoDaddy. This domain registry provides numerous security features, such as SSL certificates, WAFs, two-factor authentication, and even DNSSEC, that Norid recommends. Furthermore, it comes with the largest selection of .it domain names and has 24/7 customer support.
The following registry on our list is Shopify. It comes with a low initial cost, SSL certificates, WHOIS privacy, a spam-free parking page, and a 3-day free trial. As a result, you’ll buy .it domain that suits your website the best and is also with top-notch security features.
Lastly, you can also opt for Hostinger. Thanks to this fantastic service, you can choose from many .it domains and get the best one for an affordable price. On top of that, it also includes database encryption with secure hashing algorithms, regular data backups, SSL certificates, and knowledgeable customer support.
Perfect Partners for Your .it Domain
Hosting – Registering a .it domain is the first step of your website development. But you’ll also need a web hosting service that will make the site available for other people. Because there are several different web hosting providers suitable for various purposes, you can find the best ones here.
SSL Protection – Domains that don’t have SSL protection are perceived as vulnerable and also risky by Google. Due to this, they’ll get a lower rank in searches. Luckily, you can get an SSL certificate from your web hosting provider or a third party.
Premium DNS – In the last period, DNS DDoS attacks are pretty common. That’s why you must avoid them. They can be very harmful to your business and its reputation. So, getting premium DNS for your domain is the right solution.
Private Email – If you want to look more professional, you may need to get a private email address. More so, they can contain your domain name and are also more secure than popular email providers like Yahoo, Outlook, and Hotmail.
Domain Information for .it
|Minimum Registration Period
|Maximum Registration Period
|Minimum Renewal Period
|Maximum Renewal Period
|Is Domain Privacy Supported
|Are IDN Domains Supported
|Is RegistrarLock Supported
|Is DNSSEC Supported
Popular .it Domains
Among the thousands of Italian websites, we’ve decided to present you with the most popular ones:
- amazon.it (Ahref’s rank: 91) – amazon.it is part of the Amazon chain that provides different products.
- google.it (Ahref’s rank: 93) – google.it is a localized Google search engine for Italians.
- Corriere.it (Ahref’s rank: 90) – corriere.it is a popular Italian news page.
.it Domain Alternatives
As .it is available only for individuals from particular regions, you may need to find an alternative that will work equally well:
- .com – choose this domain extension for guaranteed online success.
- .net – there are 5.18 billion satisfied users, so why don’t you give it a try?
- .org – give your business website a taste of professionalism with .org.