What is .gg Domain?
.gg is the country code top-level domain for the Bailiwick of Guernsey. This domain extension was chosen as other possible codes like .gu, .gs, and .gy were already in use. .gg domain was introduced to the market 27 years ago, in August 1996, for entities that were connected to Guernsey.
Which Scenarios Should You Use the .gg Domain?
While the main reason for launching the .gg domain was for entities connected to Guernsey, there are more actual scenarios:
- Various websites in Guernsey, such as gaming and esports ones
- Multiplayer video games
- Discord server invite links
- Different servers in the gaming industry, like cloudbase.gg; tracks the availability of the game in cloud gaming services
Anyone can register .gg domain, meaning this extension doesn’t have any restrictions. Additionally, there aren’t many strict regulations in this domain.
However, you need to get into a contract with the official registry. Then, you become subject to a fully completed application form you must fill out electronically. Once you sign the contract, you can’t refuse to register .gg domain. Refusal of registration will only be made available at the registry’s entire discretion.
In order to register for .gg domain, you need to provide only identification documents, such as card ID number, birth date, or passport number, and that’s it. You’ll get your .gg domain in no time.
Unfortunately, once you submit your chosen name and it enters the register, you can’t refund the annual fee you have to pay. Also, if you register a payment authority, you authorize and confirm that you want the registry to take payment via a third party for all fees which may arise.
How to Buy .gg Domain?
Guernsey doesn’t implement rigid regulations, so you can easily buy .gg domain. More precisely, you just need to understand the regulatory requirements and submit your request. But before you do this, find out whether your domain name is used by another website by checking that out on Whois Lookup.
Steps on How to Buy .gg Domain
- Prepare all necessary documents – you will only need an identification document, such as your passport number, ID card number, or even only your birth date.
- Find a company that offers .gg domains – you don’t need to buy .gg domain through the official Guernsey registry. You can also go for other reliable companies that offer to register .gg domain names.
- Select a domain and pay for it. Afterward, you’ll acquire an URL of your website and become an official owner of your .gg domain.
- Once you activate your domain, you need to make sure that it receives advanced protection. In other words, look for the best domain privacy features, and implement them. You can choose from 2FA, limiting access, strong password, registrar lock, domain status notifications, frequent renewal of domain, and SSL certificate. That said, you’ll get top-notch protection for your domain name system (DNS).
Our Recommended Places to Register
Our number one choice is GoDaddy. This registrar comes with robust security features, such as DNSSEC, recommended to have by Norid, SSL certificates, and a Web Application Firewall (WAF). Also, this is the largest domain registrar. Therefore, you’ll be able to find a suitable domain name with the .gg extension.
Another excellent registrar is Namecheap. This platform is trusted with over 17 million domains, as it comes with a private email that is free for two months, an SSL certificate, and 24/7 knowledgeable support.
Lastly, we have IONOS. It allows you to run a domain name search and ensure your desired domain is available so that you can avoid lawsuits with other companies. On top of that, you’ll get a domain Guard, DNS Pro, DDoS attacks protection, and safeguard against DNS hijacking and spoofing.
Perfect Partners for Your .gg Domain
Hosting – even though the first step for getting a website is to register .gg domain, you also need to find a reliable web host that will boost its performance. Due to this, you need to choose the best web hosting service that will cater to your needs. Thankfully, you can find the best one on this site.
SSL Protection – If your domain doesn’t have SSL protection, Google and other search engines won’t rank it as high as you may expect because they’ll perceive it as vulnerable. Therefore, you should implement an SSL certificate via your web host or even purchase one from a third party.
Premium DNS – The premium DNS will help you prevent DNS DDoS attacks which are one of the most common forms of cyberattacks. By avoiding them, you’ll enhance your business and provide a robust layer of safety for you and your customers.
Private Email – If you want to provide a more professional look, consider using a private email. Many web hosts or even domain registrars offer them. The best part is that you can include your domain name in it and ensure your customers easily find you and don’t put your emails in the spam. Additionally, these emails provide more substantial protection than Hotmail, Yahoo, or Outlook.
Domain Information for .gg
|Minimum Registration Period
|Maximum Registration Period
|Minimum Renewal Period
|Maximum Renewal Period
|Is Domain Privacy Supported
|Are IDN Domains Supported
|Is RegistrarLock Supported
|Is DNSSEC Supported
Popular .gg Domains
As .gg is quite a popular domain extension, we’ve decided to provide the most popular .gg domains:
- google.gg (Ahref’s rank: 74) – google.gg is a Google service focused on Guernsey.
- maxroll.gg (Ahref’s rank: 53) – maxroll.gg represents a website for helpful information and resources for players of popular video games like Diablo IV, Lost Ark, or Path of Exile.
- u.gg (Ahref’s rank: 56) – u.gg focuses on providing champion and summoner stats for League of Legends players.
.gg Domain Alternatives
There are no alternatives for .gg domains, but you can still go for other extensions that will help you make a breakthrough:
- .com – this is the most popular domain name extension that guarantees your online success.
- .net – register your site with .net, as around 5.18 billion people use this extension.
- .org – give your website a taste of professionalism, trustworthiness, and authority with .org.