The process of developing, executing, and refining online marketing strategies to fulfill company objectives is known as digital marketing management.
It entails connecting with and attracting customers through digital platforms such as websites, search engines, social media, email, content, and online ads. The goal is to reach the appropriate people at the right moment, engage them, and motivate them to act in ways that benefit the company.
In the rest of this piece, I’ll help you understand the basics of digital marketing management, including its importance, key skills, components, best practices, and challenges. Keep reading!
- Digital marketing management boosts online visibility, delivers measurable results, offers cost-effective solutions, and provides a competitive edge.
- Achieve success by mastering the key elements and skills of digital marketing management.
- Guidelines for success: establish a strong brand identity, stay updated with industry trends, foster customer relationships, and optimize marketing strategies.
- Challenges include adapting to algorithm and technology changes, managing multiple channels and campaigns, and maintaining a strong ROI.
Why Is Digital Marketing Management Important?
Because there are so many ways to market digitally, keeping track of all your online efforts can be overwhelming and frankly confusing. Digital marketing management is important because it gives you the ability to oversee and monitor all your campaigns, which helps you make data-backed decisions and strategies. This could be the difference between success and failure.
The feedback gotten from all your marketing efforts helps you to target a specific audience based on their demographics, online behavior, interests, and more. Because you now understand who your target audience is, you can easily create content that can be tailored for social media, email, or a website.
This targeted content will help build awareness, create trust, and encourage potential customers to make a purchase.
Increased Online Visibility
With the majority of customers online these days, the importance of being visible cannot be overemphasized. Imagine 70% of your customers live in a particular city, and there are 50 other people who sell similar products to the one you’re selling. How do you stand out from such a competitive crowd?
That’s where effective management comes into play, by helping create the right strategies that make sure you’re always a step ahead of the rest. Let’s look at some tactics that will help you become more visible online.
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
Targeted marketing is important because it has eliminated all of the unpleasantness of traditional marketing and made marketing more specific. Messages and offers are shown to the type of audience that might be interested in them, resulting in reduced costs and higher return on investment(ROI).
With consumers worldwide spending nearly 7 hours each day online, it is important to measure how consumers interact with your content. Managing your digital marketing campaigns can help you analyze how well people are reacting to what you’ve put out there. Through the use of tools like Google Analytics, you can measure the results of your campaigns and see if they have met your initial marketing goals.
You can also see what’s working and what’s not, and see where to twist and turn so you can get the best possible results for your efforts.
Tracking key metrics like website traffic, click-through rates, conversion rates, and many other performance indicators gives you an accurate insight into customer behavior and the results of previous marketing campaigns.
Because digital marketing management allows businesses to reach a more specific audience, the chances of their efforts resulting in a sale are higher.
Email marketing and social media marketing are two of the most cost-effective means to reach a large audience at a lower cost. With Email marketing, you can send content to a targeted email list, this process can even be made more easier through the use of automation. Automated emails triggered by specific actions or events.
Social media marketing is even more amazing, you can reach thousands or even millions of followers for free. All you need to do is choose the right social media your target audience uses, create engaging content, and share it with them. The best part is, you get to interact with your customers and receive valuable feedback.
Paid advertising on social media is still very affordable.
Imagine showing up to a footrace with a bike, unfair right? This is the type of competitive advantage Digital marketing management gives to a business. Let’s go through a list of some of them.
- Increased Visibility
- Better Targeting
- Improved Customer Engagement
- Competitive Analysis
Consumer behavior and the general digital marketing space are constantly changing. It is important to stay up-to-date with the latest digital marketing trends, technologies, and algorithms.
What Skills Are Needed for Digital Marketing Management?
The administration and tracking of all online marketing campaigns by a company is no mean feat, there is a range of skills one must possess to truly excel and achieve your digital marketing goals. A good digital marketing manager must be good at;
- Strategic thinking
- Data analysis
- Content creation
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Paid advertising
- Project management
Mastering these skills can help a business improve efficiency, increase effectiveness, give it a competitive edge over rivals, and improve ROI. To fully understand why these skills are important, let’s dissect them one after the other.
Strategic thinking is the deliberate and clear-sighted analysis of critical factors that will influence the long-term success of a business, individual, or team. In the context of digital marketing, strategic thinking can be seen as the development of a comprehensive marketing plan that takes into account the needs and goals of a business.
This plan should contain a detailed analysis of the target audience, competition, trends, and a clear insight into the tactics and marketing channels to be used. Some Examples of how strategic thinking can help with the development of such a marketing plan are;
- Identifying the target audience
- Choosing the right marketing channels
- Optimizing Marketing Tactics
- Adapting to changing trends
Data has become an important cog in digital marketing management. It allows a business to measure the effectiveness of all of its marketing efforts. By analyzing data, a business can identify trends, patterns, and insights, information that will be used to tweak the marketing strategy for better results in future campaigns.
As a digital marketing manager, Google Analytics is a powerful tool that can be used to inform a marketing strategy. Let’s see how!
- Tracking website traffic
- Monitoring conversion rates
- Analyze user behavior
- Testing and optimization
Content builds a relationship with your customers, establishes trust, and proves you’re an authority in your niche. It also helps to answer most of the questions people may have about your product.
Marketing through content leads to growth, it gives people the chance to know your business, learn from it and become customers. Beware that if your content is not engaging and informative, it’ll have the opposite effect. Here are some tips and best practices for creating content that resonates with the target audience;
- Know who your audience is
- Choose the right format of content you want to make
- Write a compelling headline that grabs the attention of your audience, and make sure it reflects what the content is all about.
- Your content should be of high quality, it should be well-researched, well-written, and error-free
- Use images, videos, and illustrations to break up text and illustrate key points
- Make sure your content provides some form of value to your audience. It should either educate, solve a problem or entertain them.
- Use keywords, meta descriptions, and other SEO best practices to optimize your content for search engines
- Once you’ve created your content, promote it on social media, email newsletters, and any other channel to reach your target audience
Social Media Marketing
According to statista.com, there are 4.7 billion social media users in the world, which is such a huge global market. Social media marketing is crucial to digital marketing because it allows businesses to build awareness, promote their products/services, and relate with their audience in an easy and affordable way.
Social media marketing has to be a part of every digital marketing strategy. As a gesture of goodwill, here are some tips and best practices to get you on your way;
- Choose the platforms that your target audience uses the most and create content suitable for that platform
- Create a content strategy for your social media in advance
- Use high-quality images and videos to grab your audience’s attention
- Be human and respond to messages and comments on time
- Use relevant hashtags to make your content reach a wider audience and easy to find
- Most social media platforms have analytics tools, use them to track your performance and successes
- Try out paid advertising and promote your business to a larger market at an affordable rate
- Social media trends come and go, make sure you stay up-to-date with the constant changes and optimize your marketing strategy to fit them
Personally, when I need something, be it an idea, directions, food, or why my football team keeps losing, I ask a search engine. Google alone gets over 3.5 billion searches a day which makes search engines a huge part of our lives.
Search engine optimization is the practice of optimizing a website so that when someone searches for a relevant keyword or phrase, it shows up on the search results page. SEO is important to digital marketing because Organic search(non-ad search) is considered to be the highest ROI channel by 49% of marketers. For no fee, SEO helps generate traffic to your website and increase visibility, which helps generate leads and ultimately sales.
Before you explore SEO, you need to understand these best practices first;
- Conduct keyword research
- Optimize on-page content
- Ensure that your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate
- Build high-quality backlinks from bigger websites similar to yours
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
- Use tools like Google Analytics to analyze your website’s data
- Stay up-to-date with SEO trends
Paid advertising has improved lately, becoming more focused and reaching the ideal customer faster. This has resulted in paid advertising becoming an important part of the marketing strategy of many brands because it moves the customer through the marketing funnel quicker than organic advertising.
But before you try out paid advertising, here are the basics you need to know on how to manage your paid campaigns on Google Ads and Facebook Ads;
- Set your goals for why you want to do paid advertising
- Define your target audience by demographics, interests, and psychographics
- Choose the right platform where you want to advertise
- Create the copy for your ads
- Create a landing page a user is directed to when they click your ad
- Use compelling offers like discounts and free trials to entice customers
- Set a budget and monitor your ad spend, ensuring you’re getting a good ROI
- Use split testing to increase ad performance
- Review your results regularly and make improvements where necessary
It is important that digital marketing projects are completed on time while meeting the organization’s standards. Project management ensures that campaigns are assigned and delivered on time, meet the brief with high-quality output, and remain within the budget.
Here are a few tips on how to plan, execute, and monitor your digital marketing campaigns;
- Set clear goals, set SMART marketing goals for your campaign. SMART stands for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound
- Set your budget and stick to it
- Map out your digital marketing campaign workflow
- Create quality content
- Use analytics to create a strategy
- Use A/B testing to test different variations of your campaign
- Monitor and track your progress
In digital marketing management, the importance of effective communication is significant because this industry requires you to work in teams, exchange ideas, and convince people to buy what you’re selling.
As a digital marketing manager, poor communication skills often lead to low-quality output and disharmony amongst team members which generally affects any marketing campaigns negatively.
As a digital marketing manager, you might be asked to explain the values of digital marketing strategies to stakeholders, here’s how to go about it;
- Speak in a language the stakeholders can understand and relate to
- Clearly define your goals
- Use data and analytics to show the effectiveness
- Share case studies and success stories to demonstrate the value
- Emphasize the benefits of a digital marketing strategy
- Be ready to answer whatever questions they ask
What Are the Components of Digital Marketing Management?
To achieve success in digital marketing management, there is a range of components that must be effectively managed and understood. These components include:
Planning and Strategy
A well-thought-out plan and strategy are the easiest way to achieve set goals and objectives. To develop a comprehensive marketing plan, you need to take note of the following steps;
- Conduct audience research
- Conduct competitor analysis
- Set SMART goals
- Create a content strategy
- Select the right marketing channels
- Set a budget
- Monitor and tweak your campaigns
Identifying Target Audience
While you’re still in the planning and strategy phase, it is important you conduct thorough audience research, this tells you all you need to know about your target audience based on their demographics, interests, and online behavior.
Establishing Marketing Goals
Identify what your marketing goals are in clear and measurable terms.
Creating a Marketing Plan
Create a marketing plan that aligns with the goals of your marketing campaign and target audience.
Execution and Implementation
Your marketing plan is only as good as it is executed, it is at this phase that everything comes together. The plan, strategy, ideas, and goals of every digital marketing campaign will only succeed when they are executed and implemented properly. This stage is crucial and it’s only proper I give you some tips on how to be most effective;
- Assign specific roles and responsibilities to different team members
- Use project management tools to monitor tasks, progress, and deadlines
- Create a content calendar
- Continually test and optimize your campaigns
- Use analytics tools to monitor and measure performance
Content Creation and Management
Create content that adds value to your audience.
Social Media Marketing
Try out different approaches to your marketing campaigns on social media and measure how people react.
Email is a great place to carry out A/B testing. Find out what works best and stick with it.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Make sure your content is optimized for search engines, it is a great way to market at no extra fee.
Analysis and Measurement
Data is the live-wire of digital marketing management, being able to analyze and measure a marketing process is so important because it paints a clear picture of the success or failure of a campaign.
Tools like Google Analytics have made it easy to analyze a website’s conversion rates, website traffic, and other important metrics, which helps fuel your marketing strategy.
Here are some of the best ways to use data analysis to optimize your marketing campaigns;
- Define what your key performance indicators are
- Identify the different trends and user behavior from the data gotten
- Use A/B testing to try different strategies and see which ones work best
- Allocate resources to areas that need attention based on data
Monitoring and Analyzing Results
Constantly monitor and analyze the results of all your digital marketing campaigns.
Reporting and Presenting Findings
Make sure to report and present findings to stakeholders, and together you can adjust the marketing strategy based on these findings.
Identifying Areas for Improvement
Locate areas in the campaigns that are not performing well based on data, then allocate resources or optimize for better results.
What Are the Best Practices for Digital Marketing Management?
As a digital marketing manager, the success of your marketing campaign is of utmost importance. To set yourself up for the best results, there is a standard set of guidelines that are known to produce the desired outcome if followed. Let’s see what they are!
Creating a Strong Brand Identity
A brand identity is essentially the soul of your company, people don’t just want to buy from you, they want to feel a certain connection to your business. When people are familiar with a consistent image of your company, it builds trust, and loyalty.
To be able to create that emotional connection with your customers, you need to follow these procedures;
- Define your brand values
- Develop a unique brand voice across all marketing communications
- Create a relatable logo and visual identity
- Be consistent in your messaging strategy
- Share your company’s story to trigger emotions
To have a deeper understanding, read Brand Identity explained.
Staying Up-to-Date With Industry Trends and Changes
The digital marketing industry is constantly changing and evolving, the strategies that work now might not work in a few months. So to keep getting the best results, it is important you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies.
To stay informed about the latest trends, follow these tips;
- Read relevant blogs and articles
- Attend industry seminars, webinars, and other events
- Join relevant online communities
- Take online courses
- Network with other professionals
- Follow leaders and strong voices in digital marketing on social media
- Experiment with new technology like Artificial intelligence
Incorporating new trends and technologies into your marketing strategies helps you stay ahead of the curve and consistently get the best results.
Building and Maintaining Strong Relationships With Customers
Building a good relationship with customers is the key to long-term success, customers feel more secure and ready to do business with a brand they trust and connect to. Customers enjoy being listened to and this increases the chances of retention and repeat purchases.
Having a strong connection with your customers is achievable, so long as you follow these steps;
- Respond to customers promptly
- Make communication personal
- Be genuine in your communication
- Provide value
- Be proactive in your communication
- Listen to customer feedback
- Stay consistent in your tone and messaging
Consistently Analyzing and Optimizing Marketing Strategies
In the world of digital marketing, there is no time to relax. In order to maintain success, It is important to continually analyze and optimize your marketing strategies to keep up with ever-changing trends and consumer behavior.
Follow these guidelines to be able to identify areas for improvement in your digital marketing strategy;
- Define your Key performance indicators(KPIs)
- Collect and organize data
- Analyze the data collected
- Use the data to make informed decisions
- Continually modify and update your strategy
Regularly testing and optimizing marketing campaigns helps you to continually adjust to changes in the market thereby getting success consistently.
What Are the Challenges of Digital Marketing Management?
Digital marketing management is a powerful tool that can drive success for any brand, but in spite of all its advantages, there are a few challenges to take note of:
Adapting to Changes in Algorithms and Technology
Search engine algorithms and social media algorithms are a closely guarded secret. It is difficult to pinpoint what they are and because they are constantly changing, it’s hard to keep up. Because technology in digital marketing is evolving at a rapid rate too, it is easy to get lost.
Don’t worry, follow these tips to stay informed about changes and how to adapt your strategies accordingly;
- Subscribe to industry newsletters
- Attend industry events
- Follow strong industry voices on social media
- Conduct regular research and analysis
- Experiment with the findings of your research
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Collaborate with other professionals in the industry
There is no blueprint for how algorithms work, so to ensure your marketing campaigns are effective, you need to continually test and monitor your strategies.
Managing Multiple Channels and Campaigns
Stress is known to be the killer of productivity, and managing multiple digital marketing channels and campaigns simultaneously can be overwhelming. So in order to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively, you need to take note of these steps:
- Set clear goals and priorities
- Create a schedule for all your tasks
- Use a project management tool
- Delegate tasks
- Automate repetitive tasks
- Take breaks and rest
- Continually evaluate and adjust priorities
Automation and project management tools are like your corner men, automation takes care of repetitive tasks and allows you to take care of more important tasks, and project management tools help you to stay organized and keep track of campaigns and projects, this reduces the risk of mistakes, missing important deadlines and tasks.
Maintaining a Strong ROI
When you embark on a digital marketing campaign, you do so with the hope of getting the desired success from your investment. Most times, that is not the case due to different factors ranging from changing algorithms, increased competition, and changing consumer behavior.
However, if you track and analyze your return on investment(ROI), you can see areas that need improvement and act on them accordingly. Here’s how to go about it:
- Set clear and measurable goals
- Track the right metrics using analytics tools
- Monitor the campaign performance
- Determine the cost of your marketing campaigns and the revenue generated from them
- Test and optimize all your campaigns to increase ROI
Digital marketing has changed the way products and services are being marketed to consumers, you no longer need to scream in a marketplace, but target your adverts to those most likely to make a purchase from you.
It is now an important war chest for any company or brand that wants to scale, with multiple and measurable channels/formats of approach, you can now focus your energy and resources on only your target audience, thereby having a higher ROI. It is indeed a superpower in the right hands.
For you just starting with Digital marketing, learn the skills required, familiarize yourself with the best practices and challenges, and tap into this digital gold mine waiting to make you succeed.
Next Steps: What Now?
- Create the best website for your business
- Learn more about the best website builder for WordPress
- Learn what digital marketing is all about and how it works
- Find out what skills are needed to be a successful digital marketing manager and learn them
- Know the key components of digital marketing and how to apply them
- Understand the best practices and challenges of digital marketing
- Start experimenting with all you’ve learned and test results