You don’t have to get WordPress hosting for your WP site, but it sure takes things to another level. Choosing the best WordPress hosting for your needs will simplify the CMS installation and boost your overall experience. You’ll benefit from a preconfigured environment, improved plugin management, one-click installs, automatic WP updates, and more!
At HostAdvice, we have made significant efforts to bring you the best choices for WordPress hosting. Our experts are professionals with years of experience who have bought each plan and reported first-hand as regular customers. The HA team performs side-by-side comparisons, speed, uptime and reliability tests, and other vital actions during the testing phase.
Short On Time? Check Our 10 Best WordPress Hosting Providers:
- HostArmada – Best Value for Money WordPress Web Hosting
- UltaHost – Top WordPress Hosting for Features
- ScalaHosting – Best Scalable WordPress Hosting Providers
- FastComet – Fastest WordPress Hosting
- InterServer – Best WordPress Hosting Provider for Security
- Kamatera – Best High-Traffic WordPress Hosting
- Cloudways – Best Managed WordPress Hosting
- HostPapa – Best WordPress Hosting Provider for Customer Support
- Chemicloud – Best WordPress Hosting Providers For Beginners
Our 10 Best WordPress Hosting Providers Are:
I highly recommend getting a HostArmada managed WordPress hosting plan. After all, the offers start at $2.99 per month, and you can get up to unlimited websites, 40 GB SSD Storage, 6 Cores CPU, and 6 GB RAM on a single subscription.
- Overall Score: 5.0
- Features: 4.9
- Performance: 4.9
- Ease of Use: 5.0
- Support: 5.0
- Pricing: 4.9
HostArmada offers excellent value for money thanks to its affordable plans that include many useful features, like free cPanel, free SSL for all sites, daily backups, web server cache, cloud SSD storage, and 24/7 support.
HostArmada does not have a BBB listing (only applicable for U.S.-based companies), however, Trustpilot awards them 4.9 stars out of five (with more than 446 user reviews).
- Optimal uptime loading speed and website performance with no server failures
- Some of the lowest WordPress hosting prices on the market (especially considering all features you get for free within the plans)
- The support staff is always available, and you will receive quick responses in case of issues
- The renewal rates are more expensive than the initial prices (even with these rates, HostArmada is one of the most affordable WordPress hosting solutions)
- Some features are locked to the pricier plans (Speed Reaper Features, Dynamic Caching, Warp)
Features: Managed WordPress hosting with 1-click WordPress installer, automatic daily backups, web server cache, SSD cloud storage, cPanel, and tight WP security.
Performance: Cloud-powered shared hosting servers with SSD storage for faster read/write times, 99.9% uptime, and a low number of clients per server for optimal server load and optimal site performance.
Ease of Use: Beginner-friendly service with cPanel and 1-click WP installer to quickly deploy WordPress instances and configure installations.
Support: Worry-free experience with 24/7 available technical support to migrate your WP site, install plugins, SSL certificates, or optimize your website
Pricing: You can pay monthly, annually, biennially, or triennially. The best part is you can benefit from significant discounts and incredible deals, especially on the longer-term plans.
UltaHost is a gift that keeps on giving in the WordPress hosting world. The company offers WordPress-optimized, reliable, and lightning-fast solutions with many freebies, such as the popular cPanel, DDoS protection, and free daily backups.
- Overall Score: 4.9
- Features: 5.0
- Performance: 4.9
- Ease of Use: 5.0
- Support: 4.9
- Pricing: 4.9
With UltaHost, you can expect remarkable value for your money. You’ll get managed WordPress with a suite of free tools to help you build faster and better WordPress websites. Including WordPress themes, plugins, a WordPress backup tool, and WordPress domain control.
Ultahost does not have a BBB listing (only applicable for U.S.-based companies), however, Trustpilot awards them 4.6 stars out of five (with more than 145 user reviews).
- Managed WordPress hosting for the ultimate ease of use
- Many free tools to create the best WordPress websites (fully customizable themes and easy-to-install plugins)
- Prices don’t increase on renewal (you’ll benefit from the promotional pricing forever)
- No free domain on monthly billing terms
- The uptime guarantee is a bit confusing (99%, 99.9%, and 100% advertised on different pages)
Features: WordPress-optimized hosting with WordPress staging tool, cPanel, free WordPress manager, WP-CLI, 1-click automatic installs, unlimited apps, free migration plugin, automated backups, unlimited bandwidth, free domain transfer, free SSL, BitNinja security, dedicated firewalls, regular security patching, and 24/7 real-time monitoring.
Performance: UltaHost utilizes cutting-edge technology and offers you a comprehensive WordPress performance solution, powerful caching, PHP version control, CDN add-on, 99.99% uptime guarantee, high speed, and faster loading times.
Ease of Use: You’ll benefit from instant, automated WordPress installation and an overall hassle-free experience with UltaHost’s managed WordPress hosting. Its team will handle installs, updates, backups, and security issues so that you can focus on your core business.
Support: You can reach UltaHost’s highly trained team of WordPress experts via live chat, tickets, phone, or email. They are always on standby 24/7 to diagnose and correct any problems you may encounter using your WP website. As a bonus, you can assess the FAQ or Knowledgebase for self-help.
Pricing: With UltaHost, you can start at $2.90 for a single website, 10,000 monthly visits, 30GB NVMe SSD, one email account, and two databases. You’ll also benefit from its 30-day money-back guarantee for complete peace of mind.
Efficient, quality support and superb speed, our list of Best WordPress Hosting would be incomplete without ScalaHosting. This underrated yet reliable web host is home to over 700,000 websites across 120 countries.
- Overall Score: 4.5
- Features: 4
- Support: 4.5
- User Friendly: 4
- Pricing: 3.5
- Reliability: 4.5
- Managed/Unmanaged WordPress Plan: 4
ScalaHosting is a U.S.-based host provider known for quality service, top performance, and incredible capabilities. It is optimized for WordPress hosting and has two major data centers in Europe and North America. Some features include free site transfer, automatic daily backup, Divi website builder, SShield Security, free SSL Certificate, and an in-built custom-made control panel called CPanel.
Regarding pricing, ScalaHosting offers four different WordPress hosting plans for agencies, with its lowest plan starting from $3.95/month for one website, 20 GB SSD Storage, 1x CPU core, and unlimited bandwidth. Its highest plan goes for $14.95/month, and it includes unlimited websites, 16x CPU core, 50GB SSD Storage, and unlimited bandwidth.
Features: Daily automatic backups, free Cloudflare CDN, CPanel, LiteSpeed Server, Free Let’s Encrypt SSL, SShield protection, supports developer tools like MySQL, PHP, Python, etc.
Support: Provides expert support via email, 24/7 live chat, and a comprehensive Knowledge base.
User Friendly: ScalaHosting boasts of its beginner-friendly custom-made SPanel that’s organized and really easy to navigate.
Pricing: Budget-friendly prices that go as low as $3.95/month with premium features and resources.
Reliability: Extremely reliable WordPress host with a decent uptime rate of 99.9% and an average page loading time of 528ms.
Managed WordPress Hosting Plan: ScalaHosting offers 24/7 security and top performance in its managed WordPress hosting plan
- Free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates
- Superb Customer Support
- Free Cloudflare CDN
- Custom made SPanel
- Advanced Developer tools
- LiteSpeed Cache plugin
- SShield and DDoS protection
- Excellent performance and fast speed
- 30-days Refund Policy
- Renewal costs are expensive
- Limited Data Centers
- Lower plans don’t have SSD.
I suggest getting FastComet for the fastest website performance. Choose from WordPress shared hosting, cloud VPS hosting, and dedicated CPU servers – speed and security at scale!
- Overall Score: 4.8
- Features: 4.8
- Reliability: 4.8
- User-Friendly: 4.8
- Support: 4.9
- Pricing: 4.7
Are you looking for a speed boost? Benefit from the fastest WordPress hosting available with SSD-only cloud, Cloudflare CDN, FastGuard, RocketBooster, WordPress Resource Monitoring, and more!
Fastcommet does not have a BBB listing (only applicable for U.S.-based companies), however, Trustpilot awards them 4.9 stars out of five (with more than 2,253 user reviews).
- Above-average loading speeds and website performance
- Lots of free goods included (daily backups, managed migrations, free domain transfer)
- Multiple data center locations available across the globe (choosing one that’s closest to your target market reduces latency, thus improving your visitors’ satisfaction)
- The full performance features, such as the RocketBooster, are limited to the priciest plans
- There are no server locations available in South America and Africa (fortunately, CDN is available for free – makes up for this loss)
- Prices increase on renewal
Features: A variety of WordPress hosting plans for complete 360° control over your WordPress hosting service – easy to navigate Client Control Area, cPanel/WHM, 1-click App Marketplace, and Observer Monitoring.
Performance: Out-of-the-box WordPress optimization, SSD-cloud for 300% performance boost, free Cloudflare CDN, superior WordPress security, and resource monitoring.
Ease of Use: Immediate activation or people-powered express transfer service without downtime free of charge – 1-click marketplace with over 450 apps, over 20 Frameworks, and the industry-standard cPanel.
Support: Unlimited 24/7 in-house priority support that cares about your website and over 3,000 pages of step-by-step tutorials to get you started.
Pricing: Affordable plans, excellent deals, 45-day money-back guarantee for Cloud Shared Hosting, and 7-day refund for VPS/DS Servers, and free months of hosting (up to six months unused time compensation).
InterServer has been around for over two decades. In its time, it has grown to be one of the most recognized hosting providers with numerous top-quality services. Among them, InterServer offers reliable and optimized WordPress hosting at a great price. Additionally, it offers amazing security features, like its own custom InterShield protection and Inter-Insurance. Also, you can install it easily and quickly in under 20 minutes.
- Overall score: 4.4
- Features: 4.4
- Support: 4.3
- User Friendly: 4.4
- Pricing: 4.5
- Reliability: 4.4
Features: InterServer offers many free and paid features, including InterShield protection, Inter-Insurance, flexible software options, instant provisioning, an easy-to-use control panel, pre-installed WordPress, integration with over 450 apps, Cloudflare CDN, free SSL Certificates, PHP, ImunifyAV, NodeJs, Atomicorp, Git, root access, free website migration, global content caching, and malware protection. However, we gave it a 4.4 score because no free domain is included in any plan.
Support: InterServer provides 24/7/365 dedicated support that is available via phone, email, ticketing system, Facebook chat, and live chat. Its customer support team is made up of dedicated WordPress experts. However, customers have reported issues with the agents’ responses, so we gave it a 4.3 score.
User Friendly: InterServer has a special web-based control panel that makes it easy for customers to easily add and manage virtual servers and scale their resources. However, we gave it a 4.3 score because its website is outdated, its website is overloaded with elements, and can be difficult to navigate.
Pricing: InterServer is a very affordable hosting provider. The cheapest WordPress hosting plan is $6 per month per slice. One slice includes 1 CPU core, 2048 MB RAM, 30 GB SSD storage, and 2 TB bandwidth. However, we gave it a 4.5 score because managed support is only available if you buy four slices or more.
Reliability: InterServer provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee. It comes with an optimized WordPress cron. It has the fastest cache plugins preconfigured and with FastCGI and Nginx. Additionally, it offers SSD storage and Cloudflare CDN and uses self-healing hardware. Also, it uses the latest KVM, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo, and Hyper-V virtualization platforms for its servers, so that others on the same node cannot access your server. However, we gave it a 4.4 score because of the reported slower loading speeds.
Additional parameter – Server location: 4.7: It’s important to find a provider that has a data center close to your location in order to avoid downtime and latency issues. In InterServer’s case, it is perfect for US-based businesses or audiences because it has multiple data centers across the US. However, it lacks data centers in other important regions, so we gave it a 4.7 score.
Pros and Cons
- A 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Instant provisioning
- Pre-installed WordPress
- Flexible software options
- Cloud remote backup service
- Self-healing hardware
- SSD storage
- Free trial available
- Root access
- Cloudflare CDN
- Free SSL Certificates
- Some cryptocurrencies are accepted as payment options
- Data is stored on RAID-10 disks
- Free manual data backup
- Free DDoS protection
- Multiple OSs are supported
- Difficult to navigate
- Outdated web design
- Slow loading speeds
- No free domain
- Data centers only in the US
ChemiCloud is a U.S.-based web hosting company that offers exceptional customer support, unique features and multiple hosting plans. It is beginner friendly and has multiple server locations in Amsterdam, the United Kingdom, the U.S, Singapore and Bangalore.
- Overall Score: 4.8
- Features: 4.3
- Support: 4.5
- User Friendly: 4
- Pricing: 3.5
- Reliability: 4
- Managed/Unmanaged WordPress Plan: 4
Relatively new in the web hosting game, ChemiCloud has earned the trust of many and established itself as a trustworthy brand. It has 11 data centers around the globe and utilizes Cloud Linux OS on the LiteSpeed web server. Some features offered include free domain registration for life, SSD Storage for all plans, free site migration, 1-click Softaculous app installer, free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates, website builder and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
ChemiCloud offers three different levels of WordPress plans to choose from. The lowest package, known as WordPress Starter, goes for $4.48 per month and includes one website, 1 GB RAM, 1 Core CPU, 20GB SSD Disk Space and unlimited bandwidth, while the highest package, WordPress Turbo, goes for $6.98/ month and includes unlimited websites, 3GB RAM, 3 Core CPU, 40 GB SSD Disk space and unlimited bandwidth. Here are some of the parameters we use in ranking this brand.
Support: They provide 24/7 support via their live chat, email, telephone or ticket system.
User-friendly: Organized and easy-to-navigate dashboard interface that gives you access to c-Panel, 1-click Softaculous app installer and Imunify360 or JetBackup.
Pricing: ChemiCloud plans are ideal for agencies searching for long-term plans, as the lowest WordPress hosting package you can purchase is the annual goal that goes for $4.48/month.
Reliability: They provide exceptional website performance with an uptime guaranteed rate of 99.99% and 278ms website speed.
Unmanaged WordPress Plan: ChemiCloud gives you full server access and lets you control your website as you see fit.
- Advanced security features
- Supports developer tools and multiple coding scripts
- Free Domain registration for life
- Excellent Speed and Performance
- 99.99% Uptime rate guarantee
- 45-day refund policy
- 11 data centers across the globe
- Extra cost for a website builder
- The minimum plan you can purchase is for one year
- Doesn’t have a Knowledge base.
I highly recommend getting VPS hosting from Kamatera. But what about WordPress? Don’t worry; you can install the CMS with a single click from a preconfigured environment and enjoy the above-average performance.
- Overall Score: 4.9
- Features: 4.9
- Performance: 5.0
- Ease of Use: 4.7
- Support: 5.0
- Pricing: 4.8
Kamatera is the best high-traffic WordPress hosting solution available. Its WordPress integration on a VPS accounts for superior features, including choosing the type of server, CPU, RAM, and SSD for your plan.
Kamatera does not have a BBB listing (only applicable for U.S.-based companies), however, Trustpilot awards them 3.3 stars out of five (with more than 71 user reviews).
- Scalable resources on WordPress VPS plans for ultimate freedom and reliability
- Extremely supportable and skilled staff for tailored support
- Pay-as-you-go solution (they charge you for what you need exactly, no other fees)
- The prices increase significantly for managed WordPress servers
- The cloud resources are more expensive than competitors
- Requires technical understanding (customer support available to help)
Features: WordPress VPS hosting featuring leading technology. WordPress is pre-installed on Linux servers available with a one-click install, adjustable server specs, and advanced configuration.
Performance: Scalable solution on a cloud infrastructure with 99.95% uptime guarantee and no single point of failure. Data centers in America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
Ease of Use: Custom Control Panel that requires a bit of technical knowledge to navigate. Luckily, customer support is available to guide all beginners and first-time WordPress hosting users in the process.
Support: Live technical and tailored support around the clock, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Managed support is also available.
Pricing: Pay by the minute, hour, or month, only for what you use. 30-day free trial and 100% satisfaction guarantee are also included.
Managed WordPress hosting takes things to another level. If I were you, I would get Cloudways as the best managed WP hosting solution trusted by over 250,000 SMBs, agencies, and individuals worldwide!
- Overall Score: 4.6
- Features: 4.6
- Reliability: 4.7
- User-Friendly: 4.7
- Support: 4.7
- Pricing: 4.6
Cloudways will manage everything for you. The best part is – you get enough free time to focus on your core business without worrying about your site’s speed, security, and overall performance!
Cloudways does not have a BBB listing (only applicable for U.S.-based companies), however, Trustpilot awards them 4.6 stars out of five (with more than 1,478 user reviews).
- Supports the top five IaaS providers, over 60 worldwide data centers, and an excellent range of features
- It doesn’t restrict your use of WordPress plugins and themes (you get complete freedom and ownership, even with managed support)
- High-performance servers with faster server speeds than competitors and vertical scaling
- Paying extra for most add-ons (ex. offsite backup storage, email)
- Has its own Customer Control Area (no access to Plesk or cPanel)
- Combining Cloudways service with another cloud provider (you rely on two providers instead of one)
Features: Optimized servers for WordPress – featuring the latest CMS version, monitoring, scaling, cloning, backups, restores, and more, all through 1-click operations.
Performance: SSD hosting, built-in cache, optimized stack, PHP versions, Cloudways CDN, Breeze plugin, dedicated firewalls, SSLs, login and database security, IP whitelisting, and more!
Ease of Use: 1-click actions – every operational task from the server launch to SSL installation is available in a few clicks.
Support: 24/7 expert support included, Advanced or Premium support add-on, ticketing system, Knowledgebase, troubleshooting, and an active community.
Pricing: No contracts; pay-as-you-go plans that adapt to your budget. You can host unlimited WordPress websites, and only pay for the resources you consume at the end of the month.
HostPapa is an experienced hosting provider that has been around since 2006. It is based in Canada and operates in Canada, the US, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Europe, and Asia. It is a very popular option for both beginners and developers, with an award-winning expert customer support team available non-stop to help with any issues you might encounter. It is also a great place to host your WordPress website and offers excellent optimized and managed WordPress hosting plans.
- Overall score: 4.3
- Features: 4.3
- Support: 4.4
- User Friendly: 4.3
- Pricing: 4.3
- Reliability: 4.4
Features: HostPapa offers a plethora of free and paid WordPress-optimized features, including zero-click WordPress installation, WordPress caching, free SSL, auto-detect, and removal of malware, automatic WordPress updates, Web Application Firewall, easy-to-use tools, over 400 apps, SSD storage, free Cloudflare CDN, and more. However, we gave it a 4.3 score because many of the WordPress-specific and other features are not included in the cheaper plans.
Support: HostPapa’s award-winning customer support is available 24/7/365 via phone, email, live chat, and ticketing system. Additionally, if you get a managed WordPress plan, all of the technical aspects will be handled for you by HostPapa’s WordPress experts, enabling you to focus on your business. HostPapa’s customer support is available in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, and German. We only gave it a 4.4 score because some users have reported minor issues with its ticketing system.
User Friendly: HostPapa is top-pick for beginners and developers alike because it provides many easy-to-use tools, a simple setup, and sign-up process, zero-click WordPress installation, and automatic WordPress updates. Customers can also browse through its extensive knowledge base and find numerous tips and solutions. However, we gave it a 4.3 score because some options are difficult to set up.
Pricing: HostPapa offers multiple plans for each hosting so that everyone can find a plan that suits their budget. For its WordPress hosting, the cheapest plan is its unmanaged WP Start plan, which costs $2.95 per month. It includes one WordPress website, free WordPress migration, free domain registration, free SSL, 100 GB SSD storage, and ten email addresses. However, we gave it a 4.3 score because customers will have to pay extra for additional WordPress features with cheaper plans, like WP Plus or WP Pro features.
Reliability: HostPapa offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee across all services. It has data centers worldwide, with ultra-fast servers that provide a 400% performance boost, RAID redundancy, and server firewall. HostPapa also offers DDoS protection, brute force detection, FTPS, and monitoring tools. However, we gave it a 4.4 score because it reported a few connectivity and load issues.
Additional parameter – Server location: 5.0: The location of the server on which your website is hosted is vital for having a fast and stable website that is always online and available to customers. To ensure this is the case for your website, you need to choose a hosting provider with data centers in the vicinity of your country of operation or your target audience’s location. HostPapa does an outstanding job in this area. It has a truly global presence with data centers in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific, China Mainland, Oceania, and the Middle East. Thus, you can rest assured that you will get all the benefits that HostPapa has to offer and will experience minimal to no downtime, no matter your location. So, it’s safe to say that HostPapa deserves the 5.0 score we gave it.
Pros and Cons
- A 99.9% uptime guarantee
- A 30-day money-back guarantee
- DDoS protection
- RAID redundancy
- Monitoring tools
- Cloudflare CDN
- Free tools and apps
- Eco-friendly provider
- SSD storage
- Free SSL
- Free domain name and transfer
- 24/7 multilingual customer support
- Data centers located around the world
- Zero-click WordPress installation
- Automatic WordPress updates
- Web Application Firewall
- Prices can be misleading
- No free automatic backup
- Not all WordPress features are available in cheaper plans
What Is WordPress Hosting, and Do You Actually Need It?
WordPress hosting is a web hosting service preconfigured for WordPress, the most popular CMS worldwide. It’s not a type of hosting product like shared, VPS, or dedicated hosting, but more of an add-on to traditional web hosting plans, such as reseller hosting.
This hosting is a specialized solution for WordPress that integrates perfectly with WP sites. It improves the website security, performance, and overall functionality by specific features and options, such as one-click installs, better plugin management, automated updates, tailored WordPress customer support, and so on.
In general, WordPress hosting providers intend to offer a package that simplifies, secures, and speeds up the WordPress installation and management. Still, the offer can vary significantly from one web host to another, primarily depending on the type of WordPress hosting you choose, your needs, and your budget. For more information about WordPress costs check out our WordPress pricing page.
The thing is, WordPress hosting is not a prerequisite for hosting a WordPress site, meaning you don’t have to buy WP hosting. Still, if I were you, I would select this alternative. Sure, you can host your WP website on a generic server, but it’s far more time-consuming and lacks the needed features for your website’s optimal performance. This service is highly convenient if you are a beginner, mainly due to the preconfigured environment for WordPress, range of WP-specific features, ease of use, and 24/7 availability of WP experts.
What Are The Advantages Of WP Hosting?
Each type of web hosting (shared, VPS, or dedicated) can be optimized for the CMS, making it WordPress hosting. The question is, how does WordPress hosting exceed generic hosting?
Here’s why you need a WordPress optimized service over a traditional web hosting plan:
- You get a preconfigured environment for a fast and easy setup
- Better uptime, reliability, and performance with less work on your part
- It’s a speed-optimized solution that improves loading speeds, SEO, and customer satisfaction
- WordPress hosting is also optimized for performance tweaks, especially with managed WP
- Security features adjusted for WP-specific attacks (reduced danger of malicious third parties)
- Improved plugin function, automated updates, and up-to-date software
- Significant ease of use with a user-friendly interface – it’s easy to add plugins, SSL certificates, perform backups, and more (only a few clicks)
- You get access to many customization options (website design, ads), themes, and features
- Customer support consists of WordPress experts qualified to solve all your issues with the hosting and boost your performance
The Different Types Of WP Hosting
As mentioned, you cannot find WordPress hosting on the specter of web hosting plans alongside shared, VPS hosting, or dedicated servers. Instead, each web hosting plan can be optimized for the CMS. If you start browsing, you’ll indeed find more than one WordPress hosting solution. Further on, you will encounter several classifications based on different factors.
In general, you can make a distinction between shared WordPress hosting, VPS, cloud, and dedicated (VDS) WP hosting, but more on those later.
How Did We Choose The Top 10 WordPress Hosting?
- Types of Hosting WordPress Hosting Offered5%
- Uptime Commitment8%
- Speed Optimization9%
- Available Space and Bandwidth7%
- Scalability Options6%
- Security Enhancements7%
- Ease of Use8%
- WP-Specific Support12%
- Developer Tools and Extras5%
- User Reviews30%
- Starting Price3%
HostAdvice combines different review methodologies to separate and rank the best WordPress hosting services. Our experts are always a step ahead with their approaches, meaning they continually upgrade their ways of doing things to remain up-to-date with all innovation and new releases. For instance, we have recently introduced new uptime and performance measurement processes, relying on real-time results.
Each ranking is category-specific. We establish the most important factors we’re looking at when we give rank for a particular category, in this case, WordPress hosting. Then, we allocate percentages to different factors depending on their importance for a WordPress hosting service – the higher the weight, the more critical the factor. Apart from independent tests and weighting, our ranking is also based on genuine user reviews.
HostAdvice’s AI technology has sorted the best WordPress web hosting providers based on several key factors:
- Types of WordPress Hosting Offered (5%): Availability of shared, VPS, cloud, and dedicated (VDS) WordPress hosting.
- Uptime Commitment (8%): Can the WP host keep your site online at all times? Offline website translates to the loss of customers, sales, and SEO. So, it would be best to strive towards an uptime guarantee of 99.95% or more. Also, make sure to get a provider that compensates you for downtime, acting as a reassurance of their quality.
- Speed Optimization (9%): A fast-loading website boosts your users’ experience and customer satisfaction. WordPress recommended hosts have more than one server location. Optimally, you would get a service close to your target audience to reduce latency. Other speed-enhancing components include free Cloudflare CDN, caching, and fast servers (Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, Varnish, and Squid).
- Available Space and Bandwidth (7%): does the WordPress plan/hosting setup allows for one or more websites? What can you host (high-quality images, videos, etc.)? You should consider the type of storage, the amount of memory per website, and the available bandwidth for traffic.
- Scalability Options (6%): How many visitors can your WordPress hosting plan support? What if you exceed this limit? Can you quickly upgrade to more resources, and will the WP host help you in the process?
- Security Enhancements (7%): With WordPress hosting, you should look for specific security features, including daily backups, firewalls, malware scanning and removal, monitoring for malicious plugins, automatic updates, and SSL certificates.
- Ease of Use (8%): The best WordPress hosting solutions are beginner-friendly, providing easy-to-use workflow tools to facilitate your experience. It would be best if you got an intuitive interface to handle installs, add plugins, and more.
- WP-Specific Support (12%): Quality WordPress hosting plans come with a dedicated WordPress team available 24/7 to assist you in all issues you might face with the CMS. These professionals can understand, assess, and quickly resolve your queries.
- Developer Tools and Extras (5%): These features facilitate building and administering your website and are especially important for WP users with experience with the CMS – unlimited development sites, staging sites, updates, SSH/Bash Access, Perl, Python, Node.js, Git, WP CLI, Drush, PHP Frameworks, etc.
- User Reviews (30%): We especially value the experience of worldwide customers with a particular WordPress hosting service, including beginners, highly-experienced developers, and everything in between. User reviews form the base of our ranking since they provide insights into different aspects of operation; they are honest, transparent, and valuable.
- Starting Price (3%): Whether you are willing to get the most expensive or the best free hosting for WordPress, you should establish the quality you will get for the price, aka, the price-value ratio. For more about the cost of wordpress hosting,
Types of WordPress Hosting and Which Is the Right One for You?
As you can see, today’s market supplies you with a wide range of WordPress hosting services, and it’s up to you to choose. Sure, you must be confused – shared WordPress, cheap WordPress, managed WordPress, and so on. Which one should you get? Let us explain the different categories and their intended use; this way, you can make the best choice for your business.
As mentioned earlier, each type of web hosting can become WordPress hosting. The WordPress versions of shared hosting, VPS, and dedicated hosting solutions offer the same qualities as generic web hosting – the only difference is the addition of WordPress optimization.
Shared WordPress Hosting
Even though you share the server with other users, shared WP servers offer better performance than traditional shared hosting. You can expect one-click installs, automatic updates to the WordPress core, themes and plugins, and a knowledgeable support team within these plans.
Shared WordPress hosting is best suited for beginners and small businesses without significant skill or experience. With this option, the web host takes over server management and upkeep. As a customer, you will benefit from sufficient (but not excessive) resources and a user-friendly control panel. The best part is that shared WP hosting is the most affordable option.
However, the downside of shared WP hosting is that you can face security risks and cross-contamination from other websites on the same shared server. Your site can also suffer from downtime during server maintenance, and you will have no control over the server specs. So, if you go for this option, it’s imperative to choose a quality web host that properly configures the shared environment to protect its customers on the same server.
VPS WordPress Hosting
Like shared hosting, with VPS WordPress hosting, you would once again share the server with other users. However, in this case, the web host utilizes a virtualization technology or cloud hosting to divide one physical server into multiple virtual units. In turn, you will get dedicated resources, such as CPU, RAM, or Bandwidth, at an affordable price.
On the good side, other users cannot pull your resources. Instead, each of you gets your personal virtual space. So, you can benefit from a share of allocated resources and self-contained software with an OS, mimicking a dedicated server with more flexibility.
Simply put, VPS WordPress hosting falls somewhere in between shared and dedicated WP solutions – you get the best of both worlds; reserved resources at an affordable price. It’s the perfect choice for SMBs and websites with medium to high traffic. It can also work for eCommerce stores, depending on the provider.
Still, VPS WordPress hosting can be a bit expensive. Also, if you are an enterprise in need of control over the hardware, a VPS will not be sufficient (a dedicated server is the better alternative in this regard).
Dedicated (VDS) WordPress Hosting
A dedicated WordPress hosting solution will store only your files and data. As the website owner, you will receive complete control over the server. You can optimize and configure the server to your liking without having to accommodate anyone else’s needs. You will get the ultimate freedom, better security for your site, unlimited bandwidth, and reserved resources.
Simply put, you won’t compete with neighboring sites for anything. Dedicated servers offer the best potential, performance, and speed, and due to this, they are the most expensive hosting alternatives.
Furthermore, dedicated WordPress servers also mean greater responsibility. You will have to take care of the server environment, including the operating system, IT solutions, maintenance, updates, etc. So, you will have to devote time and resources. After all, you cannot expect support for the simplest tasks, such as regular server scans and patches, when you are utilizing this advanced solution.
So, dedicated WordPress hosting is the best choice for enterprises and websites with high traffic, in-house development teams with skill and experience to make the most of the available resources.
Managed WordPress Hosting
Usually, providers utilize dedicated servers for managed WordPress hosting. However, you can also find this solution on VPS, cloud hosting, or even shared server environments – so it’s a unique offer.
The web hosting company, in this case, takes over all server optimization and maintenance responsibilities, meaning they handle all technical aspects, including backups, speed, uptime, security, and updates.
With this option, you would leave the “heavy-lifting” to professionals with extensive experience to control the server. In turn, you can expect a stable website, lightning-fast loading speeds, incredible security, staging sites, and dedicated support.
On the downside, managed WordPress hosting might impose some plugin restrictions. It’s also more expensive compared to shared WP hosting.
Managed WordPress hosting is the best choice for teams without advanced IT knowledge and skills or websites coping with high traffic levels and extensive data.
What Are The Requirements For A WordPress Server?
While some of the biggest brands use WordPress and know what they should be looking for, you might be experiencing some difficulty in this regard. So, let’s review what requirements should each WordPress server satisfy at a minimum.
First, WordPress recommended hosts offer PHP version 7.4 or greater, MySQL version 5.7 or greater/MariaDB version 10.2 or greater, and HTTPS support. In addition, the CMS recommends getting a web host that supports Apache or Nginx as the most robust and featureful server for running WordPress. Still, keep in mind that any server that supports PHP and MySQL will do.
It would be best if you also dedicated special attention to the security features of the WordPress hosting provider. If the web host runs PHP apps, such as WordPress, on your account’s username instead of the server’s default shared username, we are speaking of better security. Ensure you check the entire offer to protect your site from any malicious activities on time. Finally, it would be best to get 1 GB or more disk space, at least 512 MB RAM, and a 1.0GHz+ processor.
And if you are just starting– you shouldn’t worry much. Reputable WordPress hosting companies clearly state their offerings to be understandable to beginners and professionals. You can check how many websites a specific WP plan is sufficient for, the amount of bandwidth, storage, and so on.
What To Look At To Find Your Best WordPress Web Hosting?
You got up here; now you are on to the purchase. So, the only question left is, what should you look for in a quality WordPress web hosting for your business? We’re here to help – here are the key traits you should look for in the best WordPress hosting:
- Type of WordPress Hosting: First things first, you must establish what you need for your business. Sure, you are getting WordPress-specific hosting, but you can go in any direction – including shared, VPS, or dedicated environment. Do you need managed support as well? Scroll up to our thorough explanations and recommended uses of each to be able to choose the best WP hosting type for your site.
- An Uptime Guarantee: It’s a must – regardless of what anyone says. The WordPress web hosting company should be able to keep your site online at all times. If you experience downtime, you can lose a lot of visitors, SEO ranking, sales and face lower customer satisfaction. It would be best to get a provider with at least 99.95% guaranteed uptime – the closer to 100%, the better.
- Blazing Speed: WordPress optimization by itself should boost your website performance. Nowadays, people want things, and they want them fast. Your visitors will leave your site if it takes over two seconds to load. On the good side, you can easily test a WP provider’s speed. At this point, you should look for a well-established data center network, along with features such as SSD drives, Apache or Nginx servers, caching, and Cloudflare CDN.Note: You want to be able to choose a server location that’s close to your target market’s geographical location to cater to their needs better – this reduces latency, thus improving speed and customer satisfaction.
- WP-Specific Security: You put up a lot of effort to build your site and publish great content to drive high traffic. It would be terrible to lose all the hard work because of a hack or DDoS attack. Ensure that the hosting provider supports a variety of WordPress security hardening technologies, including 2-Factor Authentication (2FA), Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), Secure Shell (SSH), activity log, and the dedicated firewall. Also, keep in mind that the best hosting for WordPress offers SSL certificates, the DDoS protection system, and the malware removal tool. Besides, look for backup solutions and the site cleanup feature, which are very important for restoring your website in the case of a security breach.
- Traffic Volume: You should also consider how much traffic your website gets when estimating your needs. Say you have 5,000 monthly visitors. You don’t want to be paying for 20,000 because you will spend your money and won’t get anything extra in return. At the same time, you don’t want to get a WP plan optimized for 2,000 visitors per month because it’s not sufficient – it will harm your performance, speed, and SEO rankings. Match your needs with the WP hosting provider’s offer, and you will be good to go.
- Bandwidth and Disk Space Limits: The same applies to your site storage, bandwidth, and any other resource in this regard. A good WP hosting company will be fully transparent in this regard. You should check how many websites the plan supports, what kind of files you can post, how fast the transfer is, how much you can transfer, and so on.
- Scalability Options: You chose the plan sufficient for your needs. But what happens when these needs increase – you might get more traffic or start posting more, so you need more storage or bandwidth? Whatever the case, the WordPress web hosting company should support your growth. They should not allow your site to crash but handle the influx instead. The best-case scenario is getting cloud WordPress hosting as the most flexible solution to scale.
- Plugin Access: The best WordPress hosting providers allow you the freedom to use any plugin that you like – they don’t restrict you to limited tools. Also, it would help if you looked for free licenses of different plugins, including Jetpack. It will help you to save money.
- WordPress Specific Support: The support team should focus only on WordPress rather than Drupal, Magento, or any other platform type. It ensures that you get support from the real experts, who can easily recognize the difference between a potential plugin conflict, a tricky theme, or a server-level issue. Also, they will help you with plugin updates and page optimization. The support team of the best WordPress hosting provider knows the exact setting required for your website to run at optimal performance.
- Other Features: Consider what other features you are getting with the WordPress plan. Will you enjoy the ease of use with the industry-standard cPanel and one-click installs? Can you expect a free domain name/transfer, website migration, free SSL certificates, and daily backups, or would you have to pay additionally for all this? Furthermore, consider WP-specific features, such as WordPress super caching, WP CLI, automatic WP updates, and more.
- A money-back guarantee: What if everything else fails and you’ve made a mistake with your choice? Well, you should at least be able to get your money back. Always check the refund policy before committing to a web host – it’s an additional security layer that you will be so grateful you got.
Our Expert Web Tips
While all might be perfect on paper, the reality can be pretty different. Here are the top five tips from our HostAdvice experts to easily detect shady WordPress providers.
- There’s a difference between regular rates and renewal rates: While you might get a one-time discount on your WordPress hosting plan, you should check whether it applies to the renewal rate as well (usually, it doesn’t). So, what if you get a monthly plan with a 90% discount? Well, you would face quite a shock when it renews the following month – you will pay way more. At this point, you should also compare the monthly offer with the annual plans. Web hosts usually offer better deals on longer-term contracts. However, to be able to benefit from this promotion, you would have to commit to the company for a year or more.
- Read the offers carefully: Free domains, free backups, free SSL certificates, free this, and that. But is it for real? Will you get this with the cheapest WordPress hosting plan, or is it just advertising? Usually, you have to get the most expensive plan or commit a year to benefit from these free add-ons. It’s a famous marketing trick among web hosts, so you should be wary of it!
- Unlimited is always limited: There’s no way, in reality, you can get unlimited storage, bandwidth, or websites. WordPress hosting plans are stored on physical hardware, which has its limitations. So, while a company might be advertising ‘unmetered’ resources, you should read the fine print to know what you are getting. You should contact customer support to get these details upfront if not specified. While these unlimited resources are sufficient for bloggers or small websites, they are indeed insufficient for high-traffic sites and large businesses.
- Know when you need a website migration: If you switch from one WordPress hosting provider to another, you need to transfer your website. The better alternative is to find a web host to migrate it for you for free. So, when you are looking for a new company, check whether this is included in the offer or not. Not all WP providers will grant the service for free. So, if you are paying for it, you should at least ensure it’s a human-powered migration to avoid any hassles and mistakes.
- Avoid unmanaged WordPress hosting: If you don’t have the skill, time, or experience to manage your WP-optimized plan, it’s best to leave this task to professionals. Unmanaged WP hosting plans grant you complete freedom over your server – you can install any tool you want and customize the environment to your liking without any hassle (well, that’s until you know how). You also get access to a full-featured hosting control panel and more features to utilize, and the best part is, it’s much cheaper than managed solutions. However, there will be no dedicated team of experts to guide you with everything. Instead, you have to rely on yourself or a team of developers. If you aren’t in such a position, the unmanaged solution will cost you way more in terms of lousy website performance, slow speeds, and bad SEO rankings.
Best WordPress Hosting By Region
Are you serving a particular target market in a specific geographic region? I would match the server location with my customer’s location if I were you. See, when the data center/server location is closer to your audience, you will reduce load times and eliminate latency. When visitors access your website, they will get all data and content without any delays. For instance, if your audience is in Germany, get a server in Germany (or at least in the surrounding areas in Europe). In turn, if your target market is the US, get a server in the US, and so on.
Fortunately, WordPress hosting providers tend to specialize in this regard. If you don’t know which provider to choose, feel free to follow our recommendations:
- Verpex– Best WordPress Hosting In The UK
- Bluehost – Best WordPress Hosting In IndiaNote: While you might find negative reviews of worldwide customers of Bluehost, the company certainly excels in India – shown by a majority of positive reviews by real users. In other words, you can rest assured it’s the best WordPress hosting alternative for that particular region.
- Hostpapa – Best WordPress Hosting For Canada
- HostArmada - Best WordPress Hosting In Europe
- Interserver – Best WordPress Hosting In The USA
Best WordPress Hosting By Other Popular Demands
- 000Webhost - Best Free Web Hosting For WordPress
- Flywheel – Best WordPress Hosting For eCommerce
- WPEngine – Best WordPress Hosting For Agencies
- Convesio – Best WordPress Hosting For Bloggers
- HostArmada – Best WordPress Hosting For Beginners
- Webdock – Best WordPress Hosting For Developers
- Hostinger – Best WordPress Hosting For Designers & Photographers
Best WP Hosting: Final Recommendations
You can indeed “get away” with regular web hosting if you have a WordPress website. However, we honestly advise you to get a WP-optimized plan to make your site faster, easier to navigate, and more secure.
Still, you have to dedicate some time and effort to regular updates to maintain optimal performance. If you can’t do so, it’s best to go with managed WordPress hosting. This way, you can entirely rely on the web host to run your project smoothly, covering all plugin, theme, and PHP updates. But remember, this luxury comes at a price – you’ll always face a trade-off, and it’s up for you to decide.
In summary, the best WordPress hosting plan for your business will always depend on your requirements and preferences. Following the above-explained steps, tips, and recommendations, will surely put you on the right track. So, what are you waiting for? Get your WordPress-optimized plan today!