A mail server is a computer system that sends and receives email. Dating over 50 years, email has grown into one of the most dependent and quick communication methods. Mail servers play an essential role in today's communication. With a proper mail server, you can prevent spam among other threats to your online privacy (more on this later).
Some of the advantages of external mail servers (or mail servers) include;
- Adequate storage space – When you sign up, you get scalable storage space. what does this mean? In case you ever need more space, you can always get it.
- More security – most of the companies which you outsource your server needs keep up with the technology changes. This means that you get more security and there is a less likely chance that your customers' systems may get infected by viruses.
- Address book – most of the hosting companies provide their users with the ability to store and retrieve contact information.
- Spam filter – with a good email hosting provider, you will never have to worry about unsolicited mail.
In this article, we are going to learn how to configure and use an external mail server in Plesk.
- Plesk Account
- Registered external mail server
How To Configure and Use External Mail Servers in Plesk
A pop up will appear showing you three services which you can enable or disable.
- Mail service
- Mailing lists – this option is used whenever you have customers you need to send some information to regularly.
- DKIM spam protection system to sign outgoing email messages – this option provides a method which confirms domain names that are associated with a message via cryptographic authentication.
Select Disable in all the three options and click Ok.
Select the domain you wish to edit DNS settings for. Once you click it, browse and click DNS Settings.
Click on the link that shows the MX resource record.
We are now going to edit the resource record. Therefore, type the domain name of your external server in the Mail domain.
Specify the priority of the mail and click Apply then OK. You have successfully configured your Plesk to use an external mail server you specified.
We have learnt how to configure and use external mail servers in this quick tutorial. It's a relatively simple step since Plesk is easy to use and you have to disable Plesk Mail services to be able to add the external mail server. Enjoy receiving emails from external email servers like 0365, Google and Yahoo.