This article discusses how you can generate, a new menu item which points to an article saved as Support and Documentation. The tips we will provide to you in this article will assist you to integrate any specified menu that points to a certain article that you have earlier posted on your site. First, you will have to log in to the admin panel but if you are logged in already, the login step below is not for you. So, let’s begin.
Step 1: Log In To The Administration Panel
Launch a fresh browser panel and fill in the URL in the right place thus: http://www.your-site-name-here.com/administrator. However, if you have set up Joomla PC, then, you can use this second link -http://localhost/your-folder-name-here/administrator instead. You would be required to sign in as a Super Administrator or a mere administrator.
Step 2: Select The Menu manager
To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the admin panel of the site
2. Choose Menus from the menu bar in the upper left corner.
3. From the drop-down list, select the menu you intend to work with. You may choose the Main Menu which is set by default, or any menu you prefer.
4.By clicking on the Menus, you’ll open the Menu Item Manager page.
5. Alternatively, click on the Menu Manager by navigating through the left column and afterwards, choose your prefered menu from the available list.
Step 3: Select New Page
Navigate to the upper-left corner of the toolbar, choose the New button. It is the tab with a green icon containing a (+) sign. The [New Page] Menu Item will open as soon as you click on it.
Step 4: Choose List Type of Menu Item
Clicking on the Select list from the Menu Item would bring forth the Menu Item Type.
Step 5: Select Articles From the List
Click on the Articles option from the displayed list.
Step 6: Choose Single Article
In the Articles section which was expanded earlier, click on the display a single article.
Step 7: Select Article
Access the select article field and choose the tag “Select” when you go back to the Menu Item Page.
Step 8: Narrow your search
This will bring up a particular article list. In order to choose a particular article, select the title and also if there are lots of articles, then you will have to select from the drop-down menu on the screen top.
Tabs Setup: Configuring tabs
As listed in the image below, complete the various fields with the necessary information. Take great care to ensure that all the fields marked with an asterisk sign (*) are required to be filled. Below are the steps in setting this part according to their headings as listed in the below image.
Step 1: Details tab
Clicking on the details tab of the Menu Item, a list appears. You need to fill this up. The first space is for the Menu Item Type you are working on.
The next is the Select Article which helps you to select a specific type of article.
Step 2: Navigate To The Option Tab
1. On top of the page, you’ll see the tab known as “Options”.
2. Click on the Options tab
3. The tab contains additional options you can select to display your menu item.
4. If you want to make use of all the available options, move your mouse over the the labels.
5. At each label you hover your mouse, the tooltips will appear to offer you assistance on how to use that particular tool.
Step 3: The Link Type Tab
On clicking the Link Type tab on the horizontal option array, it brings up a form you’ll fill in and set the method you wish for the article display. Also, you’ll get a very helpful tip by moving your cursor over the option.
Step 4: The Page Display Tab
This talks about the settings for the display of the page and it includes the options of the title of the browser page, the choice to show the heading of the page, the page heading itself and finally, the page class which allows you to generate special classes of the CSS for the page.
Step 5: The Metadata Tab
This is the tab where the customization of the Meta Tags for the optimization of the SEO is done.
Step 6: The Module Assignment Tab
This is the last tab and it talks about the ways you can adjust your components. You can either decide to hide it or make it visible as shown in the image below.
Step 7: Save work
Ensure you save what you have done by clicking Save in the left top corner on the green background. After it has saved your item, it will put it on the menu as the last completed element.
- Save - Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close - Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New - Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Close - Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
When you have successfully done this, return to the front end and reload the page and your newly created menu item would be visible. Also, you might be required to log in as either an administrator or a user who is registered in order to see the new item.