Should I Really Consider These Windows Hosting Providers as the Best?
When you are trying to figure out what kind of web hosting plan is the perfect choice for you, the chances are high that you will hit a roadblock from the very beginning, and this roadblock is the choice between getting Cheap Windows Server Hosting or Cheap Linux Server Hosting.
Windows Hosting is used for one thing and Linux Hosting is used for another, and unless you understand exactly what they are used for, you could end up regretting it.
Specifically, if you run Windows-based apps and pick Linux, they will not work, and in this case, you would need web hosting for Windows, and if you do not run Windows Based apps, Linux could be the better alternative due to its wider support.
Fans of Windows Hosting will tell you it's one of the easier web hosting products to use, and is less complicated when it comes to adding features to expand your website.
Here are the things you need to look out for:
- How Well Does Windows Server Hosting Fit Your Specific Needs?
- Are You Currently Running Windows-Based Applications?
- Will You Be Needing Windows-Based Applications and Services in the Future?
- What Kind of Security Features Are You Getting With the Cheap Windows Hosting Solution?
- How Much Bandwidth and Storage Are You Getting?
- What Kind of Level of Support Can You Expect?
- Are You Getting a Free Domain Name with the Plan You Pick?
Who Windows Hosting Server is For
- Businesses That Already Have a Foundation and Run Windows-Based Applications
- Websites that are built with ASP.NET code or Windows-specific code
- Web Apps That Require Windows Code and Services
- People Comfortable With Using the Windows Operating System and Have a Difficult Time Switching to Linux
Differences Between Windows Based Hosting and Linux Based Hosting
Linux is one of the most popular operating systems for web servers, and since it is more popular, it has a lot more of the features that web designers expect. If you are not running Windows-specific features on your server, such as applications, Linux is and always will be the preferred choice.
You need a Hosting Windows plan if you use ASP Classic, ASP.NET, MSSQL (Microsoft SQL Server), MS Access (Microsoft Access), Visual Basic Development, C#, and Remote Desktop.
Now, Windows Dedicated servers can even support additional applications; however, keep in mind that you will potentially need a license as well in order to install the software on the Windows dedicated servers, and these include Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SharePoint, and this is where Windows Hosting Services can come in handy.
The beauty of Linux is obviously the fact that it's open-source and completely free. It has remained the industry standard and is one of the most commonly used operating systems as of the time of writing. Being open-source, you can essentially do just about anything to it. When it comes to the specific applications that require a Linux-based server, these are SSH, and Scripts and applications that require specific Apache modules.
Advantages of Picking Windows Based Web Hosting
- ASP.NET Support
- RDP for VPS/Dedicated will allow you to pretty much have a cloud-computer
- Using the Server as RDP will let you install any software you’d like
- MSSQL Database support
- Ability to create an email server with Microsoft Exchange
- Native Plesk support
Keep in mind that there are even hosting providers out there that actively avoid offering Windows support as the process itself is much more complicated than with Linux.
What to Look Out for When Considering Windows Hosting
When it comes to Windows hosting, it has a lot to offer if you have already invested in Microsoft web tools. There is a wide range of Windows hosting solutions; however, you need to consider a few things before you decide to pick one.
- You Need to Analyze the Reliability – Consistency plays a huge role in any server, and as such you need to find web hosts that have an excellent reputation as well as a track record in terms of reliable uptime on their Windows-based servers.
- You Need to Analyze the Level of Security – Many of the people who want to compromise the security of a website will tend to target Microsoft products first. Web hosting Windows providers need to offer security features such as 24/7 network monitoring, DDoS protection, and much more.
- You Need to Analyze the Support Team – There is one thing that Windows and Linux hosting servers have in common: at some point in time, you will inevitably need the assistance of the support team. Always try and find a hosting provider that offers a 24/7 support staff as well as multiple ways of reaching them, such as live chat support, email support, and a ticketing system.
- You Need to Analyze the Support for the Software and Applications That You Are Going to Run Windows Servers – Their primary appeal to enterprises is that they are optimized for Microsoft products. Microsoft hosting plans are also compatible with programming languages as well as applications that are outside of the Microsoft ecosystem. They can be a bit tricky and buggy to get to work. Always review the plans in great detail so you can analyze if the hosting Windows Server plan you end up picking will meet your specific requirements.
- You Need to Analyze the Cost – When it comes to cheap Windows web hosting, you have options out there. However, those plans might be lacking some of the features you are looking for. As such, before you buy Windows hosting, always review the pricing so you can get an indication as to exactly what you are getting, as the best Windows web hosting will not always be that budget-friendly.
Luckily, we have done all of that and all you have to do is to pick a windows hosting provider from our top 10 list!