Perl Hosting in 2019 – The Contenders for the Best Service Around
One of programming’s most reliable workhorses, Perl is revered for its ability to get things done quickly with formidable scripts and an assortment of shortcuts.
Though the rise of beginner-friendly languages like Python and Ruby has taken its toll on the number of new developers turning to Perl, the extended family of Perl programming languages is still a crucial component of many web applications.
In spite of the fact that designated Perl hosting solutions don’t seem to be in high demand, there are certain Perl optimizations you should seek out in any hosting plan:
- Which version of Perl and its modules is it running?
- How many other programming languages does it support?
- How does it optimize for speed?
- Does it include 1-click script installation?
What is Perl?
Perl is the encompassing name of a group of dynamic programming languages. The most recent iteration of Perl 5, Perl 5.20, continues the principles and syntax of the original Perl language written by Larry Wall in the late 1980s. However, Perl 6 is a related but separate language that is still being developed.
Largely considered inelegant, Perl nevertheless has a massive following among seasoned developers that appreciate the many Perl shortcuts that let you execute commands quickly. As a glue language, Perl is adept at transferring commands and data between the various programming languages and databases that make up a web application.
An open-source language, Perl is supported by a zealous online community that continues to push the boundaries of the language. Perl also has a designated Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN), which stores Perl modules and documentation.
While Wall originally created Perl for text manipulation purposes, the language has evolved to take on a great number of programming tasks, including CGI scripting and GUI applications.
Why do You Need Perl Hosting?
As an interpreted language, Perl needs Perl and its modules to be installed on the server that’s hosting your web application in order to run. The best Perl hosts run the latest versions of Perl and its modules so that you have the most updated – and most secure – version to work with.
For developers, one of the most important aspects of a hosting service is how simple it is to add extra features. In Perl hosting 1-click script, installations are generally included in your control panel, making it easy to add new software or applications as the need arises.
While fully optimized Perl can actually run a lot faster than other scripting languages, you might not have the time or expertise to bring your Perl code up to ultimate runtime speed. Whatever is happening in terms of speed on your end, Perl hosting solutions take care of server-side speed by utilizing caching, CDN, SSD drives and more.
What are the Benefits of Perl Hosting?
- You get secure shell (SSH) access. Many Perl hosts provide SSH access for developers that want to run Perl commands remotely.
- You have 1-click installations of Perl software and modules. You save time and effort by choosing Perl hosts with pre-installed or 1-click Perl software and its modules.
- Your server runs the latest versions of Perl and its modules. Staying up-to-date with the most current version of Perl keeps your web application running smoothly and helps prevent hackers from exploiting any weaknesses in your code.
What Factors to Consider for Perl Hosting
- Is its support team knowledgeable in Perl? If Perl is a significant scripting component in your web application you’re going to want experts on your side, whether you’re troubleshooting or want to ask some advice. We recommend not only checking to see if the staff is fluent in Perl support but that the host’s knowledge base has a sizeable collection of Perl-related articles.
- How simple is it to migrate your website? Switching web hosting providers can be a headache, but it doesn’t have to be. Look for Perl hosting solutions that offer quick, free migrations with minimal downtime.
- What other scripting languages and databases does it support? Perl doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Whether you’re using Perl as your primary coding language for your web application or whether it’s functioning as a glue language among the various scripts interacting in the application, you’re going to need other programming languages and databases to make your web application run. Choose a Perl web hosting solution that offers support for all of the components your web application requires.
- What is its policy on Perl modules? Perl modules make your life as a programmer that much simpler. However, different Perl hosts have different policies regarding what type of modules you can use. While many Perl hosting solutions come with hundreds or even thousands of preinstalled Perl modules if there’s a chance you’re going to want to incorporate obscure Perl modules in your web application your list of potential Perl hosts gets shorter.
Choose the Best Perl Web Hosting
You’re already devoted to Perl – now it’s time to find a web hosting solution that’s just as committed to Perl as you are. The ultimate Perl hosts offer a wide selection of tools and features that make it easy to build your web application with Perl while still offering the best in speed, reliability and security. Read our user reviews to find a Perl web hosting solution that checks the important items off of your Perl hosting wish-list.