Offshore Hosting in 2019 – The Contenders For the Best Service Around
Offshore hosting has a lot to offer individuals and businesses that have their reasons for wanting to host anonymously and away from the watchful eye of governments.
The service has started to gain traction in recent years with website owners who feel that certain basic rights are being curtailed online by Big Brother. To understand which offshore hosts are worth your time and money, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do its services and features justify the price tag?
- Does it offer anonymous payment options?
- How does it stack up in terms of reliability and privacy?
- Does it come with a DMCA ignore guarantee?
Though these aren’t the only considerations that should influence which offshore host you subscribe to, they’re a good way to initially sort through and eliminate offshore hosts that can’t provide the offshore features you need.
Explore our top offshore hosting website listings, then read our in-depth expert and consumer reviews to find the best offshore hosting solution to suit your web ambitions.
What is Offshore Hosting?
Offshore hosting is the practice of hosting your website on a server that is located outside of your country or region.
Users that feel hampered by their country’s laws and regulations use servers in countries with more relaxed rules to host their web content with less fear of repercussions.
Why do You Need Offshore Hosting?
If you prefer to remain anonymous, offshore hosting can be the perfect web hosting solution. Many offshore hosts offer you the option of anonymous fiat payments or even blockchain-based virtual currency payments that are difficult to track.
You may feel confined by your government’s current laws limiting what you can say and show on the internet. Hosting your web content on servers located in countries that are less restrictive – or less patrolling – of the freedoms of speech and press can leave you with less legal barriers than what you might face with onshore hosting.
Some activities that may be illegal in your home country, such as gambling, are legal in other parts of the world. Hosting your online gambling platform with an offshore server in a country in which gambling is legal can keep your business above board and out of trouble.
Finally, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act exists to protect content creators in the US. If your website is selling, streaming, or otherwise using pirated materials (which we do not recommend), the creator can send your host a DMCA notice asking them to take your site offline.
A number of offshore hosts guarantee that they will ignore these notices, ostensibly keeping your site online. Keep in mind, though, that offshore hosts aren’t always able to keep this promise for various legal reasons, and that even if the host does ignore the DMCA notice there are other ways of finding you and sending the full power of the law after you.
What are the Benefits of Offshore Hosting?
- You can speak your mind. What might be considered too extreme or subversive for freedom of speech in your country simply isn’t an issue in other countries.
- You can typically pay anonymously. Many offshore hosts protect your privacy by offering fiat and virtual currency payments.
- You can avoid legal issues you would face with an onshore server. Whether your website has content or offers activities that could face legal prosecution at home, or whether you’re dealing in pirated content (which we don’t condone), offshore hosting can be a haven from prying government agencies.
What Factors to Consider for Offshore Hosting
- Are you caught up on the legality of your website’s content at home and abroad? Simply hosting your content in an offshore location isn’t necessarily enough to protect you from the law at home – or even abroad. Before embarking on your offshore project, do some research on the restrictions relating to your web content or even consult with a legal expert if you want to make sure you aren’t breaking any laws.
- Is the price right? The price of offshore hosting depends on so much more than the special offshore accommodations it provides, including whether you’ve chosen a shared or private server and the quality and quantity of features that come with each plan. That said, some offshore hosts charge extra for anonymous payment services.
- Is it offering you a generous feature package? The extra effort you’re making to find an offshore host is wasted if that host doesn’t complement its special privacy features with stellar hosting features. As with any type of hosting, the load speed and reliability, the number of features and the ease of use will determine how well your website performs. Go for an offshore host that can deliver on the hosting front as well as the privacy front.
- What type of security does the host have in place? Offshore hosting can provide a protective layer of anonymity for the website owner, but this is hardly helpful if its security lineup is subpar. Look for offshore hosts that use some combination of 24/7 network monitoring, backups, software updates and firewalls that keep your data – and their servers – safe.
- Does it provide robust support? Whether you’re a novice website owner or a webmaster, at some point you’re probably going to run up against a problem that requires technical support intervention. Opt for offshore hosts that offer 24/7/365 support through different channels, and make sure that their support representatives are conversant in a language you speak well to avoid miscommunications.
Choose the Best Offshore Web Hosting
Now that you have a better understanding of offshore hosting, it’s time to find the best offshore host for you. With the right offshore host, the sky’s the limit in terms of what you can publish online while remaining anonymous. Read our user reviews to narrow down your options and get started with an exceptional offshore host today.