E-commerce Hosting – The Contenders For the Best Service Around
E-commerce is booming, with global powerhouses such as Amazon and China’s AliExpress pushing consumers to make more of their purchases online.
Thanks to a seamless browsing and checkout experience, e-commerce buyers number in the billions, a trend that’s only projected to grow.
If you’re ready to start selling online, it’s important to remember that it’s not just about the e-commerce platform you choose to build your website on but which company is hosting the website. Some e-commerce hosting service questions to keep in mind while you’re looking for the perfect host include:
- How vigorous is its security?
- Is it easy to scale?
- Does it provide free SSL certificates?
- How fast and reliable is it?
These initial questions should help you figure out which fast e-commerce hosting solutions should be on your radar to begin with. Read our expert review then browse our user reviews to discover outstanding e-commerce hosts.
What is E-Commerce?
E-commerce is the selling and buying of commodities or experiences online. You’re probably familiar with at least some of the larger marketplaces, such as Amazon, Etsy, and eBay.
While you can opt to use these third-party services to sell your goods, many online retailers prefer to sell their products from within their own website.
The added advantages of selling from your website and not from a marketplace include helping consumers connect your products with your brand, enabling you to track users throughout their purchasing journey and to use this data to successfully retarget them through email and social media.
Specific leading platforms, such as Magento, WooCommerce and Wix, are specifically designed to build websites with must-have e-commerce functionalities like shopping carts, responsive design, data analytics and more.
Why do You Need E-Commerce Hosting?
Simply put, the best e-commerce hosting empowers you to make the most of whichever e-commerce software your website is built on.
No matter what the starting size of your online business, e-commerce hosts have a plan to fit your budget and anticipated traffic. Shared, VPS, cloud and dedicated hosting plans are all available for e-commerce, each with an emphasis on the speed, reliability and safety to keep your online web store hosting humming 24/7.
For beginners, e-commerce website hosting makes the transition to hosting a breeze by setting up the technical foundations for an e-commerce store like multiple shopping cart choices, secure payment gateways, preinstalling e-commerce software and offering a free website builder.
Some e-commerce solutions provide even more wraparound capabilities for your e-store from within your website, such as ordering products and setting up deliveries.
Finally, the best e-commerce hosting providers use hosting stacks that have been optimized for your e-commerce platform of choice with caching and up-to-date coding configurations. If you don’t have a lot of technical expertise, managed e-commerce platforms take on most of the server maintenance and platform updates so you can focus on your business.
What are the Benefits of E-Commerce Hosting?
- You get enhanced security. With customers entering sensitive information into your databases for payment, keeping this information private and secure is of the utmost importance. E-commerce hosts take extra precautions to protect your website from DDoS and other types of cyber-attack.
- You up your trustworthiness factor. Understandably, customers are much more likely to buy from a website they trust than one that they don’t. E-commerce hosting features like free SSL certificates and PCI compliance convince consumers that you can be trusted with their credit card and other personal data.
- You keep your brand unified. One of the reasons to opt out of third-party marketplaces is that not only can your products get lost among a sea of other products, but your brand can get lost as well. Keeping your content and products under the same roof lets customers get your full brand experience. At the same time, you gain valuable real-time customer insights from your e-store that help you perfect your marketing strategy.
What Factors to Consider for E-Commerce Hosting
- Is it simple to scale? If your dream is to go big, or at least bigger, you’re going to want an e-commerce solution that can grow with you. Keep an eye open for e-commerce hosts that let you upgrade quickly with no downtime, either on your own or with the help of the support team.
- How secure is the service? As we mentioned above, security is one of if not the major concern of consumers today, and steeling your reputation as a safe online retailer is critical if you want to keep doing business. E-commerce hosting services that use malware and spam scanning, server rewinds, backups, firewalls and network scanning to keep websites secure should be at the top of your list.
- Are its load speeds and reliability competitive? We all want our websites to load instantly and have zero downtime, but nowhere is this more critical than e-commerce. After all, a few milliseconds can make the difference between a sale and losing a lifetime customer. If an e-commerce host isn’t performing in terms of speed or uptimes, there’s no reason to give it a second glance – no matter how attractive its price points are.
- What is the overall support experience? In e-commerce, rapidly resolving emerging hosting issues isn’t just for your peace of mind but to keep customers happy with their shopping experience. E-commerce hosting solutions that give you ample channels through which to reach around the clock support and who staff their support team with hosting experts are a sound investment.
Choose the Best E-Commerce Web Hosting
Intuitive e-commerce platforms are making it easy for people of all technology backgrounds to join the online retailing game and pairing these platforms with an outstanding e-commerce hosting environment can give you the edge over your competitors. To get the rundown on e-commerce web hosting options, check out our user reviews and get your e-commerce business online today!