Nextcloud is a free-to-use cloud storage solution for personal and enterprise use. It launched in 2016 and has become one of the most popular cloud storage and file-sharing solutions for businesses of all sizes due to its reliability, ease of use, and flexibility.
Users can use the platform to sync, edit, and share various files across multiple devices. Its key defining feature is ease of use. You don’t need any technical knowledge or experience to use the platform.
There are many ways to use Nextcloud, but the most preferred option is via self-hosting, which offers an additional layer of security and privacy while offering a great degree of customization.
To use Nextcloud on a self-hosted server, you must buy a plan from a web host. Choosing the right web hosting package from the almost endless option can be challenging. To help out, we have narrowed the options to the top nine best next cloud hosting providers.
Here Are the Top 8 Nextcloud Hosting
- Kamatera: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Scalability
- ChemiCloud: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Shared Hosting
- Cloudways: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Value for Money
- InterServer: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Features
- HostArmada: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Managed Hosting
- FastComet: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Customer Support
- NameHero.com: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Security
- Verpex Hosting: Best Nextcloud Hosting Provider for Beginners
The Best Nextcloud Hosting Services of 2023 (Bought and Tested)
Kamatera offers powerful VPS hosting plans with instant scalability for developers, enterprises, and individuals. Their cloud server plans are ideal for Nextcloud users who constantly need to add more reductions to their hosting plan. The web host also offers flexible billing (hourly and monthly).
- Overall score – 4.5
- Pricing – 4.5
- Features – 5
- Performance – 5
- Support – 4.5
- User Friendly – 4
Pricing: Kamera adopts a pay-as-you-use model, as the cost of your hosting [lan depends on the rescues you need. There are four categories of cloud servers: Availability, General Purpose, Burstable, and Dedicated. The recommended package, ‘General Purpose, ‘ costs $0.012/hour ($9/Month) for the basic setup. This setup is sufficient for general next-cloud hosting requirements.
Features: the features of Kamatera cloud servers include: instant server setup, 99.95% uptime guarantee, zero hardware maintenance, instant scalability, flexible pricing, simple backup, and server monitoring.
Performance: Kamatera servers are designed to operate at the highest global standards. Furthermore, since the server plans are highly configurable, you can get the exact spec you need to ensure the best performance for your hosting needs.
Support: Besides their enterprise-grade cloud servers, Kamatera offers 24/7 customer support. The support team is staffed with skilled and dedicated support operators who are always eager to assist clients.
Additional parameter – Developer friendly: Kamatera hosting plans are designed for those who require instant scalability. While these features apply to all, they are ideal for developers who need more resources for the next cloud hosting.
Pros & Cons
- Advanced cloud solutions
- 24/7 personal technical support
- Managed cloud servers (cost extra)
- Flexible, fast, and reliable solutions for startups
- Easy-to-use control panel
- It might be challenging to use for beginners
Chemicloud is a privately-owned global web hosting company that offers cloud-based hosting infrastructure. Their plans are easy to use, affordable, and have a user-friendly control panel. They also offer affordable fees and 24/7 customer support.
- Overall score – 4.3
- Pricing – 4
- Features – 4
- Performance – 4.5
- Support- 4.5
- User Friendly– 4.5
Pricing: You can start Nextcloud hosting with Chemicloud’s entry-level shared hosting plan. This plan starts at $2.99/mo and renews at $9.95. The plan offers 20 GB NVMe, unlimited bandwidth, and 1 GB RAM.
Features: The core features include NVMe drives, unlimited bandwidth, free domain registration, daily backups, and complimentary website migration. Other features include SSL certificates, one-click installs, and multiple server locations.
Performance: Chemicloud uses a combination of technologies and hardware to ensure reliable web performance for self-hosted Nextcloud. These include LiteSpeed web server, daily offsite backups, HTTP/3 protocol, and PHP 8
Support: You get 24/7 customer support to get assistance anytime. The team also monitors the server and keeps your software updated.
User-friendly: Chemicloud offers a powerful yet user-friendly control panel. The control panel is designed with beginners in mind and packed with easy-to-use features.
Additional parameter- Shared hosting: While we are particular about VPS hosting for Nextcloud users, individuals with small needs can also use shared hosting plans. Chemicloud shared hosting plan is our recommendation because of its optimal orifice and low prices.
Pros & Cons
- One-click installs
- Supports hundreds of apps
- Free domain registration
- Daily offsite backups
- Free CDN service with Cloudflare
- Higher renewal prices
Cloudways is not your regular hosting provider. Namely, it doesn’t offer separate services like shared or VPS hosting, as most do. Instead, it uses the best cloud providers – DigitalOcean, AWS, and Google Cloud, to give you reliable and powerful cloud hosting at great prices. Also, Cloudways is highly scalable and flexible, making it perfect for growing your business online.
- Overall Score: 4.6
- Pricing: 4.7
- Features: 4.6
- Performance: 4.7
- Support: 4.7
- User Friendly: 4.6
Pricing: Cloudways’ cheapest cloud hosting plan is standard DigitalOcean hosting. It costs $11/month or $0.0153/hour and includes 1GB of RAM, one CPU core, 25GB storage, and 1TB of bandwidth. Also, you can try out Cloudways for free for 3 days.
Features: Cloudways offers excellent value for money as it comes with a wide range of features, including unlimited Nextcloud and other apps, dedicated firewalls, 24/7 real-time monitoring, automated backups, a staging environment, auto-healing, regular security patching, SSH and SFTP access, Git, support for all PHP apps, and more.
Performance: With Cloudways, you’ll get access to the best and fastest cloud hosting providers on the market. Also, you’ll get built-in caching mechanisms, a 99.9% uptime guarantee, a free caching WordPress plugin, free ObjectCache Pro, Cloudflare CDN (for an extra fee), and robust servers all over the world.
Support: As a Cloudways user, you’ll get 24/7/365 customer support via live chat and a ticketing system. Also, you can get the Premium Support add-on and get support via a private Slack channel and phone.
User Friendly: Cloudways is great for beginners as it offers managed services and quick website deployment. Also, you can scale your resources with one click, and you’ll receive easy-to-use control panels and one-click app installs.
Pros & Cons
- Services from DigitalOcean, AWS, and Google Cloud.
- Beginner-friendly features like one-click installs and easy-to-use control panels.
- Affordable plans that offer excellent value for money.
- Phone support is only available via the Premium Support add-on (but the live chat and ticketing support is free).
InterServer is a popular web hosting provider with thousands of customers worldwide. Its dedicated Nextcloud hosting plans allows you to store, manage and share your data on your terms and from any device.
- Overall score – 4.3
- Pricing – 4.1
- Features – 4.5
- Performance – 4.3
- Support- 4.5
- User Friendly– 4.4
Pricing: When it comes to the pricing of InterServer, you can get the entry-level web hosting package for as low as $2.5/mo. Those who want more resources should for the cloud VPS plan, which starts at $6/month
Features: InterSever hosting plans support Nextcloud and 450+ other cloud applications. The web host also offers free website migration, unlimited email accounts, and security solutions. You also get unlimited SSD storage and 30 days money-back guarantee.
Performance: Speed is one of the instant benefits of InterServer hosting plans. If you are using the VPS plans, you also get dedicated and customizable resources to ensure you get the best performance.
Support: This platform provides 24/7 managed support so you don’t face any issues alone.
User-friendly: InterServer is user-friendly. But the managed Nextcloud hosting plans take it a notch up and ensure you don’t have to worry about server management. Just set up your server, and the team will handle the rest.
Additional parameter – Enhanced security: InterSever offers in-house developed security solutions on its plans for free. These solutions protect your self-hosting Nextcloud server from attacks, viruses, and in-house malware databases.
Pros & Cons
- Unlimited email accounts
- 30 days money back guarantee
- In-house security solutions
- Supports almost 500 cloud applications
- Unlimited SSD storage
- Limits server usage to 20% of server resources for shared hosting
HostArmada offers reliable web hosting solutions for beginners, professionals, and enterprises. For Nextcloud hosting, we recommend the cloud VPS hosting packages. These packages have 24/7 support, free backup, SSL, and a 7-day money-back guarantee.
- Overall score – 4.8
- Pricing – 4.5
- Features – 4.7
- Performance – 4.8
- Support – 5
- User Friendly – 4.5
Pricing: HostArmada VPS hosting plans cost a lot more than Time4VPS plans. The entry plan starts at $ 45.34/mo and renews at $60.4/mo. However, the features of this plan make it worth every penny. The plan features 50 GB SSD Storage, 2 TB bandwidth, unlimited website hosting, 2 TB RAM, multiple cPanel accounts, and free features (SSL, backups, dedicated IP address).
Feature: With the HostArmada VPS hosting package, you get total root access on demand. The plans also feature SSD-powered storage, SSL for all websites, WAF & Malware Protection, and free backups.
Performance: You can expect top performance when you use HostArmada VPS plans to self-host the next cloud platform. The web host lets you choose the closed data center to enjoy fast loading times. You also enjoy a 99.9% uptime guarantee regardless of your chosen plan.
Support: HostArmada offers direct customer support via live chat and a ticketing system. The support agents are available round the clock to provide any assistance you need; they will also help you set up your server and link it to the Nextcloud platform.
User Friendly: Since HoastArmada plans come with managed service, you don’t need technical experience to keep your server running. The web host team will ensure your server is always healthy, update PHP versions, and perform other management routines daily.
Additional parameter – Beginner friendly: If you are a beginner looking to self-host the Nextcloud platform, HostArmada is a great choice. The platform’s managed hosting services are excellent for you since the web host will handle all the technical aspects on your behalf.
Pros & Cons
- Managed VPS hosting plans
- It offers a lot of freebies
- Full server control
- SSD storage available
- Top server security
- Plans may be a bit expensive for budget users
FastComet is a leading web hosting provider with powerful hosting plans. Their VPS plans are fully managed and equipped with NVMe storage for faster read/write times. Aside from Nextcloud hosting, these plans can be used for other purposes, such as WordPress and Magento.
- Overall score – 4.8
- Pricing – 4.5
- Features – 4.9
- Performance – 4.8
- Support – 5
- User Friendly – 4.9
Pricing: FastComet comes with managed service, so expect them to cost slightly more than regular VPS plans. The entry plan (Cloud 1) starts at $46.16/mo and renews at $65.95. This plan offers a single CPU core, 2 GB RAM, 50 GB NVMe storage, 2 TB bandwidth, cPanel/WHM, DDoS protection, and security tools.
Feature: The key features of FastComet hosting are 24/7 technical support, enhanced security tools (Imunify360, free SSL certificate, daily malware scans, and web application firewall (WAF)). You also enjoy hosting optimization features such as CDN, NVMe SSD, AMD EPYCTM CPU, and WordPress LiteSpeed Cache (LSCWP).
Performance: Whether using your hosting plan for Nextcloud or regular website hosting, you can be assured of top-term performance thanks to the software and technologies behind FastComet hosting packages. The web host also offers industry-average uptime of 99.9% and eleven strategically located data centers on four continents.
Support: As a FastComet client, you can access 24/7 customer support. The support team will help you manage your server and address any technical issues you might face while hosting the Nextcloud platform on your rented server.
User Friendly: FastComet cloud VPS hosting plains are easy to use. The web host also offers a popular and beginner-friendly cPanel. You can contact the customer service team for assistance if you encounter issues.
Additional parameter – Customer Support: There are many good reasons to talk about FastComet, one of which is their superb customer support. Customer support is important as it can make or mar your web hosting experience. FastComet offers top-rated technical support. They typically resolve support requests within 15 minutes.
Pros & Cons
- Fully managed hosting service
- Instant server deployment
- User-friendly cPanel/WHM panel,
- NVMe SSD storage for 7x faster storage access
- Completely scalable infrastructure
- High renewal rates
Since Nextcloud is an open-source platform, you must host it with a provider that offers powerful security features. One such provider is NameHero. Namely, NameHero will equip you with a lightning-fast cloud platform and a Security Shield feature that uses AI to detect threats in real-time, automatically install security patches, and supply you with a dynamic firewall.
- Overall Score: 4.4
- Pricing: 4.3
- Features: 4.5
- Performance: 4.5
- Support: 4.4
- User Friendly: 4.4
Pricing: You can use NameHero’s cloud-based shared hosting plans to host Nextcloud. You can choose from four plans, which all come with 30-day money-back guarantees. The entry-level plan costs $4.48/month (on a triennial billing plan) and includes hosting for one website, 1GB of RAM, unlimited NVMe storage, free LiteSpeed, and 10,000 monthly visits.
Features: Some of the features that this web host offers include free cPanel, free & auto SSLs, free website migrations, Security Shield included for free in all plans, free LiteSpeed, real-time malware scanning, automated malware removal, AI-powered threat mitigation, and more.
Performance: NameHero offers a blazing-fast cloud platform and uses fast-paced NVMe storage and LiteSpeed web server to enhance your speed. Also, it uses Quic.Cloud CDN to offer better performance and provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee to all users.
Support: This web host comes with excellent customer support that’s available 24/7 via a ticketing system and live chat. Also, it offers phone support that you can reach every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. In addition, you’ll get many helpful articles and video tutorials via its website.
User Friendly: With NameHero, you’ll get an easy-to-use, Guru-free platform that makes managing your website super simple and fast. You’ll also receive auto SSL certificates and one-click WordPress hosting.
Pros & Cons
- A proprietary security feature that offers robust protection.
- 30-day money-back guarantees on all hosting plans.
- Feature-rich plans and good long-term deals.
- It only has one data center in the US (but people from all over can still use it as it has a powerful CDN network).
If you’re new to hosting and need something that’s tailored for someone like you, then Verpex is the ideal solution for you. For Nextcloud, we recommend you use Verpex’s cloud hosting services, as they offer excellent features and reliable performance. Also, you’ll get great customer support, which is something that even advanced users always need.
- Overall Score: 4.9
- Pricing: 4.8
- Features: 4.8
- Performance: 4.9
- Support: 4.9
- User Friendly: 4.9
Pricing: Verpex offers four cloud hosting plans, and all of them come with 45-day money-back guarantees. You can purchase a Verpex plan on a monthly, yearly, and three-year basis. The entry-level plan costs $0.50/month and includes hosting for one website, 1GB of live memory, 1GB of SSD storage, and one CPU core.
Features: Some of the features you’ll get with Verpex include free SSLs, free domain registration/transfer, free migrations, daily backups, email, unlimited databases, unlimited domain aliases, Cloudlinux, Jetbackup, Imunify360, SitePad site builder, developer tools, and more.
Performance: With Verpex, you’ll get a 99.5% uptime guarantee on the two cheapest plans and a 99.99% uptime guarantee on the other two plans. Also, the provider uses fast-paced SSD and NVMe storage, LiteSpeed web servers, and offers data centers all over the world.
Support: Verpex offers excellent and super-fast customer support available 24/7 via live chat, email, a ticketing system, and phone. Also, it has a vast Knowledge Base with guides and tutorials on many topics, available to all users via its website.
User Friendly: With this web host, you’ll receive a plethora of beginner-friendly features and tools, including cPanel, the Softaculous one-click installer, a drag-and-drop website builder, free website setup done by Verpex staff, and expert migrations.
Pros & Cons
- 24/7/365 customer support is available to all users via multiple channels for free.
- Offers many beginner-friendly features and sets up your website for you.
- All plans come at super low prices and have 45-day money-back guarantees.
- Storage is limited to 100GB (but this is more than enough for hosting multiple websites and projects).
Best Nextcloud Hosting Services: Final recommendations
As you may have noticed from our list, VPS hosting is the best type for self-hosted Nextcloud. However, you can also use other hosting solutions, such as shared and dedicated servers.
The best Nextcloud server hosting provider is Time4VPS. Their onboarding and interface are excellent for beginners who want to host servers they can use to access multiple servers or enjoy with friends. Other equally great options include HostArmamda, Kamatera, and A2 Hosting.
How do we rank, and how should you choose your Nextcloud hosting?
- Server Hardware9%
- Connection Parameters9%
- Storage Type & Space5%
- Servers Locations8%
- Dedicated IP3%
- Number Of Users Allowed5%
- Third-party Allowed and Included5%
- Ease Of Use7%
- Nextcloud-Specific support8%
- User Reviews30%
Below, we will share the most important factors to consider when choosing the best Nextcloud hosting provider and the significance of each factor to other factors.
- Server Hardware (9%): Cloud server environments require powerful processing time so you can access, edit and share documents quickly. The best kinds of processors are the Intel Xeon or iSeries. However, similar processors from AMD may also be sufficient for hosting the cloud server. We recommend a VPS or dedicated server, as they allow you to use the hosting assets exclusively.
- Connection Parameters (9%): Quality connection is mandatory since you must constantly transmit files across devices via the cloud server. Choose a web host with high performance, excellent uptime, and low latency/ping. The more users you expect on the servers simultaneously, the more powerful server you need.
- Storage Type & Space (5%): We rate storage low since most providers allow you to upgrade your storage space. However, in terms of storage type, we recommend NVMe SSD storage. If that is not available, then go for SATA SSD drives. HDD may offer cheaper storage space, but they are on the low tier in terms of performance
- Security (5%): Cloud servers face a variety of tasks ranging from DDoS attacks to brute force attacks. A reliable Nextcloud provider will offer DDoS protection and other measures to protect your cloud server from potential threats.
- Scalability (3%): Scalability is an inbuilt feature if you use a cloud VPS provider. If you use a traditional VPS or shared hosting plan, confirm that the broker allows seamless scaling of hosting resources.
- Servers Locations (8%): You want the server locations to be as close to you as possible.
- Dedicated IP (3%): A dedicated IP will allow you and other users to connect directly to your server.
- Number Of Users Allowed (5%): Good Nextcloud server hosting companies allow multiple connections simultaneously.
- Third-party Allowed and Included (5%): The best server hosting for Nextcloud hosting Minecraft will allow you to install some of the most popular third parties.
- Ease Of Use (7%): Dealing with a VPS or dedicated server might require technical understanding. That’s why selecting a web host with a straightforward setup process and customer support is critical.
- Nextcloud-Specific support (8%): Web hosts that offer Nextcloud-specific hosting plans offer additional support from cloud hosting experts. These professionals can help you with setup and assist you with other issues.
- Pricing (3%): Pricing should not be your priority. Focus on getting the web host with the best Nextcloud hosting services. Then choose the one that offers the best price-to-value ratio.
- User Reviews (30%): Customers’ experience allows you to assess the accurate picture of the web host’s performance and quality. Make sure to use a reliable third-party review source.
What Is Nextcloud Hosting, and Who Is It for?
Nextcloud is a free-to-use file hosting platform. It can be used to store files, either on a private server or a provider’s server. This versatile open-source cloud-storage solution is compatible with all popular operating systems. It is ideal for businesses and individuals that want to sync and edit files in real-time across multiple devices.
It can be used for various purposes, such as:
- Contacts, tasks, notes, calendars
- Self-hosted or hosted
- File versioning
- End-to-end encryption
- Easy sharing of files
- Streaming media files
- HIPPA and GDPR compliance
- Two-factor authentication
- Advanced functionality through hundreds of apps
- Auto uploading of photos from mobile devices