WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS), powering more than 75 million websites. According to WordPress, it hosts more than 25% of the world's websites, and it is easy to see why. Between hobby blogs, business pages, and e-commerce sites, WordPress is one of the top choices because of its customization and is quick to pick up, regardless of your technical skill level. You can personalize it to your needs thanks to its easy-to-use publishing platform.
What Is WordPress Web Hosting?
To put it simply, WordPress hosting is hosting that is optimized to fulfill WordPress’ performance and security needs. Often, it will include one-click WordPress installs which make it quick to get your site open and running. Some WordPress hosts will even take care of updating your WordPress software when it is necessary.
There are two main types of Wordpress hosting to consider: shared Wordpress hosting and managed WordPress hosting.
Shared WordPress Hosting
Shared WordPress hosting will be the cheaper option because your site will be sharing a server with other websites. This means you get a limited number of resources allocated for your site, but as long as you don't see extremely high levels of traffic or your site uses a ton of resources, a shared hosting plan should be sufficient.
A shared WordPress hosting plan will include:
- One-click WordPress installer
- Performance-optimized for WordPress
While it doesn’t take much technical knowledge to manage a WordPress site, you will be required to keep the plugins and software updated.
Managed WordPress VPS or Cloud Hosting
Managed WordPress Hosting has slightly better offerings than shared Wordpress hosting. However, because it does provide better, faster resources, it will be more expensive than shared hosting.
Managed WordPress hosting's perfect for someone who wants the hosting company to take care of the responsibility for software upgrades (including WordPress itself), security, and so on. Managed VPS or cloud WordPress hosting is more substantial than shared WordPress hosting:
- Faster speeds. It usually will have better hardware specs, which means your WordPress site is going to be faster as a result.
- Better caching services. One way you can speed up a WordPress site is through caching, which you would typically have to download a plugin to do it for you. However, managed WordPress hosting offers server-side caching.
- Increased security. Managed hosting offers Wordpress-specific firewalls, in addition to malware scans and intrusion detection, which helps to increase the safety of your site.
- Ability to test changes. Some managed hosting include staging sites which give you the chance to review changes before making them live.
What Should I Look For In A WordPress Hosting Service?
- Security. The hosting service should indicate precisely what cybersecurity measures it takes, especially if it's managed WordPress hosting. Otherwise, you may want to seek the advice of outside cybersecurity consultants who can audit your website to make sure it's as secure as it can be.
- Performance. Before you can choose a WordPress host, you should assess your own needs. Make sure you find a host that can fit those. For a fast responding website, look for a company that can provide an optimized environment, a 99.99% uptime guarantee, and ideally a Content Delivery Network (CDN).
- Responsive Customer Support. If something does go wrong with your website, you want to make sure that support is there to fix the problem, fast. Look for a company that has customer support available 24/7 and has quick response times. You can also reach out to the support before signing a contract and ask them a few technical questions to assess how helpful they are.
- Customer Reviews. Especially when you are first starting out, it can be hard to know where to begin. Start by reading customer reviews from real users to see what level of service the host provides and their technical support.
Recommended WordPress Hosts
Once you have decided that WordPress hosting is right for you, here are some of our top recommended WordPress Hosts. All of them are optimized to host WordPress sites and can handle nearly anything you would need.
SiteGround is perfect for both beginner and advanced users who are looking for Managed WordPress hosting. You can get your website up and running in just minutes with them thanks to the 1-click install, free transfer, and responsive and knowledgeable WordPress support staff.
In addition, you will enjoy these benefits:
- Free domain
- WordPress SuperCacher to help increase the speed of your site
- In-house WordPress caching
A2 Hosting is another reliable company that specializes in WordPress hosting. The company provides responsive technical support that is available 24/7, Solid State Drives (to help increase the speed of your site), and the ability to customize your website how you like.
A2 Hosting also offers these benefits:
- WordPress that is optimized already installed
- Turbo caching to ensure your pages load quickly
- A variety of server choices
FastComet is one of the most affordable options out there, with plans starting at just $2.95 a month. Sites hosted through FastComet enjoy Web Application firewalls and advanced malware protection systems to keep your site safe. They also utilize SSD storage and Cloudflare CDN caching to keep your speed fast.
FastComet also offers:
- Free domain for life
- Unmetered traffic
- A free SSL Certificate
If you need a truly powerful WordPress hosting service, then Cloudways should be considered. Their Enterprise WordPress Hosting can handle both planned and unexpected events, like traffic spikes or peak times, keeping your site always online. The provider also offers managed WordPress hosting that is perfect for websites with less traffic.
Cloudways also offers these benefits:
- SSD-based managed WordPress hosting that gives you full control and fast response times
- Built-in advanced caches for quick responses
- Staging areas to test site changes
Hostinger is another affordable WordPress hosting provider, with plans starting at just $1.45 a month. The hosting provider creates a simple and fast environment for you to build your Wordpress site. Regardless of whether you are a beginner or an experienced developer, you can appreciate the easy to install, and well-developed features that Hostinger provides.
Hostinger also offers:
- 99.9% Uptime guarantee
- Daily backups, network firewall, and account isolation to keep your WordPress site secure
- 24/7 customer support