Useful Ecommerce Statistics Everyone Should Know
eCommerce is the most used alternative to traditional shopping, enabling customers worldwide to get products and services from anywhere, no matter how far apart they are from the seller.
eCommerce site owners have expanded their reach and made massive profits by selling online. In essence, eCommerce has become so popular that it is expected to reach $8.1 trillion in sales by 2026. Additionally, its share of total retail sales is expected to be 24% in 2026.
- eCommerce revenue is expected to reach $4.5 trillion in 2023
- eCommerce revenue generation is estimated to be $6.39 trillion in 2027
- The most popular eCommerce platforms are Shopify, Wix Stores, and WooCommerce
- Social commerce revenue is projected to be $6.2 trillion worldwide by 2030.
- Mobile commerce is projected to account for over 43% of eCommerce retail sales in 2023
eCommerce Statistics – Editor’s Picks
- Get to know how your customers order online - In 2022, about 63% of online orders came from smartphones, 35% from desktops, and 2% from tablets.
- Don’t underestimate the power of social media - Around 71% of consumers said they were inspired to shop by social media, even when they did not intend to.
- Customer service matters - 87% of online shoppers spend less time on or entirely abandon eCommerce businesses that do not have good customer service.
General eCommerce Statistics
- In 2023, the eCommerce market revenue is expected to reach $4.5 trillion.
- Revenue is expected to have an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 9.30%.
- The eCommerce growth rate is expected to increase even more, increasing revenue generation to $6.39 trillion in 2027.
- In 2023, eCommerce retail sales are projected to have a market share of 20.8% of the total retail sales worldwide.
- The eCommerce market share is projected to increase to 24% of total retail sales by 2027.
- Online sales in 2023 are projected to reach $6.3 trillion.
- In 2021, 41% of online shoppers in the US said that they purchase a product or service online once or twice per week.
- In 2022, 53% of online shoppers in the UK and US said they purchase consumer electronics four times a year.
From these eCommerce growth statistics, we can see that the eCommerce industry shows no signs of disappearing.
Of course, the eCommerce growth rate has slowed down a bit since 2021, when online sales increased by 25.7% in 2020 and then by 17.1% in 2021.
In 2022, online sales increased by 9.7%, and a projected 10.4% in 2023.
However, don’t let this particular eCommerce statistic discourage you. This industry is still projected to grow but at a steadier pace. So, it’s no wonder that thousands of people are looking to enter the eCommerce industry and create their own eCommerce websites. You can check out our top picks for the best website builders and create the eCommerce website of your dreams!
eCommerce for Business Statistics
- B2B eCommerce sales in the US are projected to reach $2.08 trillion in 2023.
- B2B eCommerce is estimated to have a compound annual growth rate or CAGR of 10.7% from 2021-2027.
- Over 75% of small business owners in the European Union have a website as of 2021.
- The success rate of eCommerce businesses is 20% as of 2023.
- The most popular eCommerce platforms for small businesses are Shopify and Wix Stores, with a 22% market share each. WooCommerce comes in third place, with a 20% market share.
Based on these B2B and small business eCommerce statistics, it is evident that there is a lot of money to be made in this field.
Shopify and Wix go head-to-head as the most used eCommerce platforms, with Shopify taking first place by a margin. Of course, Woocommerce is also a popular platform, especially among WordPress users.
Online Shopping Behavior Statistics
- As of 2022, an estimated 65% of consumers use resale or recommerce services.
- Around 61% of consumers are willing to pay extra for same-day delivery.
- Around 80% of consumers will share their personal data to get special deals and offers.
- In 2021, 33% of consumers that purchase apparel and footwear online preferred to have their products shipped to their homes, while 6% chose to buy online and pick them up from the store.
- The global clothing and apparel eCommerce market is expected to have a value of $898 billion in 2023 and reach $1.2 trillion by 2025.
- 87% of online shoppers spend less time on or entirely abandon eCommerce businesses that do not have good customer service.
- When COVID-19 lockdowns were lifted in 2022, around 94% of US consumers returned to in-store shopping.
The mentioned online shopper statistics show that most online shoppers use eCommerce websites to buy clothing, apparel, and footwear.
Additionally, consumer electronics are a popular product category among online purchases.
Moreover, most online shoppers prefer eCommerce businesses that offer same-day delivery, have quality customer service, and offer special deals.
Social Media eCommerce Statistics
- In 2022, around 33% of consumers chose Facebook as their preferred social media platform to shop on, with Instagram coming in second place with 24%.
- Online sales made via social media platforms are projected to have a value of $1.3 trillion in 2023.
- Global online sales through social media platforms are expected to increase to $2.9 trillion by 2026.
- Social commerce revenue is projected to reach $6.2 trillion worldwide by 2030.
- As of 2022, over 92% of US companies with more than 100 employees use social media for marketing.
- In 2021, 77% of consumers said they discovered new brands and products via social media.
- Around 71% of consumers said they were inspired to shop by social media, even when they did not intend to.
- As of 2022, social commerce makes up 4.4% of all online retail sales in the US.
- In 2022, 22% of online consumers in the UK used social media for online purchases, while in the US, social buyers made up 32% of all online consumers.
These statistics show that social media platforms have a massive impact on eCommerce. So, it’s no surprise that the most popular eCommerce websites use social media platforms and enable consumers to purchase their products and services directly without needing to go to their websites.
Mobile eCommerce Statistics
- Mobile commerce is projected to account for over 43% of eCommerce retail sales in 2023.
- In 2022, around 73% of eCommerce traffic came from smartphones, while 25% came from desktops and 2% from tablets.
- In 2022, about 63% of online orders came from smartphones, 35% from desktops, and 2% from tablets.
- Mobile retail eCommerce sales are expected to reach $511 billion in the US in 2023.
- The most popular mobile commerce app in the US in 2021 was Walmart Shopping and Grocery, with over 24 billion active users.
- In 2021, Amazon Shopping had the most active daily users on iOS devices in the US, with over 20.8 million users.
These mobile eCommerce statistics show that mobile eCommerce is becoming increasingly popular among online shoppers. In 2023, there will be over 6.8 billion smartphone subscriptions worldwide, which is only expected to grow.
So, if you have an eCommerce business, make sure to make it mobile-friendly and optimize it for all types of devices, including smartphones, desktops, and tablets.
eCommerce is one of the biggest industries in the world, and the mentioned worldwide eCommerce statistics are proof. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, eCommerce has seen unprecedented growth, experiencing a 25.7% increase in online sales in 2020.
As the pandemic was declared over and people were allowed to leave their homes, there has been a slight decrease in the eCommerce growth rate. Online sales increased by 10.4% in 2023, which is lower than in 2020.
However, this does not mean that the growth of eCommerce is over, only that it will be more stable in the upcoming years. So, if you have an eCommerce website or want to start your own eCommerce business in the future, do not worry. There is plenty of money to be made in this industry, which is projected to reach a value of $6.39 trillion in 2027.
Next Steps: What Now?
- Find the Best eCommerce Web Hosting
- Explore the Top Website Builders
- Pick a Good eCommerce Platform
- Download Quality eCommerce Plugins
- Create a Social Media Marketing Strategy
- Make Your Website Mobile-Friendly
- Offer Excellent Customer Service
- Create Personalized Deals and Offers
Further reading – Useful Resources
- How to Start an eCommerce Business: The Ultimate Guide
- Step by Step Guide To Setting Up An e-Commerce Site
- Best Ecommerce WordPress Themes in 2022
- What retailer need to know about eCommerce – Salesforce
- E-commerce – Wikipedia
- E-commerce Worldwide – Statista
- Recommerce definition - Techtarget
- Assessing the Gains from E-Commerce – American Economic Journal