Magento accounts for 12% of all e-commerce stores, with more than 250,000 active sites currently using the Magento CMS. After WordPress and its free plugin, WooCommerce, it is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms. Since the Adobe acquisition, it is expected that more people will start to utilize Magento hosting.
Many big companies like Nestle, Nike, Ford, and Coca-Cola use the Magento CMS to power their websites. The Magento CMS platform is built using open source technology so that e-commerce store owners have flexibility over their shopping cart. Magento hosting gives you complete control over the content, functionality, and design of your online store. Thanks to that customization and flexibility, it is easy to see why it is so popular. However, after you decided to use the Magento CMS, you will need to find a great Magento hosting provider who can help you power your e-commerce store.
What To Consider When Choosing Magento Hosting
The Magento CMS is powerful and flexible, and because it is an open source, there are many different free extensions. While you won’t find as many as you do through WordPress, there are still tons of offerings if you choose Magento hosting. You might also pick to use paid extensions to help boost your Magento hosting.
Here are a few things to look for when choosing a Magento hosting:
- Technical support- While you should hope that nothing terrible happens to your Magento hosting site, you should still plan for the worst. Look for a Magento hosting provider that provides 24/7/365 technical support that is responsive and can help you with any of your e-commerce hosting needs.
- Magento hosting support. It is important to check to see if your Magento hosting provider is compatible with the latest version of the Magento CMS. Your e-commerce hosting service should meet the following requirements: Linux x86-64, Apache 2.x or Nginx 1.7.x, MySQL 5.6+, PHP 5.4+.
- SSL Certificate. An SSL certificate is often provided for free by good Magento hosting services. This helps to protect and encrypt the personal data your customers might be sharing on your Magento CMS site, including passwords and credit card providers.
- Server uptime. Looking at the uptime guarantee that Magento hosting providers have to offer is essential, especially for people who are running an e-commerce store. If your site is an income-generator, you want your website to be online as much as possible. E-commerce hosting services should have at least a 99.95% uptime guarantee.
- Scalability. The Magento CMS is so flexible that you need a Magento hosting plan that can keep up with your needs. If you plan to continue to expand your store, you should find a Magento hosting provider that can scale with you.
- Loading speed. A slow website can lead to people bouncing off your e-commerce site without buying anything. Research has shown that if a site takes longer than two seconds to load, the visitor will bounce off and go somewhere else. Find a Magento hosting provider that takes the loading speed of your site seriously.
What Type of Magento Hosting Plan?
- Managed or unmanaged Magento hosting? The Magento hosting plan you end up choosing will depend on the level of control you want and need. Some e-commerce hosting store owners have limited time or technical skills might want to select a managed Magento hosting plan. However, managed Magento hosting tends to be more expensive because the Magento hosting provider is taking care of the backend of the server and keeps it updated.
- What type of Magento hosting server? You can choose a cheaper Magento hosting plan like shared hosting which means you are sharing the resources of a server with multiple people. However, Magento hosting requires a high amount of resources, so shared Magento hosting probably won’t be sufficient. Regardless of whether you have a WordPress e-commerce or another CMS, you will find that shared hosting likely won’t provide enough resources.
If your website sees a high level of monthly traffic and you plan on selling a large number of products, you might be better off selecting a cloud hosting, VPS, or dedicated Magento hosting plan.
Recommended Magento Hosting Providers
Here are some of our favorite Magento hosting providers.
- FastComet. FastComet offers Magento hosting on the cloud. The Magento hosting provider utilizes CDN and SSD to make sure that your site is running as quickly as possible. All Magento hosting plans come with a free domain forever, as well as free daily and weekly backups. FastComet boosts that its Magento hosting is faster than all its computers due to SSD-only cloud hosting.
- A2 Hosting. Offering a fast Magento hosting solution, A2 hosting offers a quick way to get your Magento hosting site up and running. The Magento CMS software is already pre-installed, so you can focus on building your Magento site right way. A2 Hosting keeps all of their sites running fast by allowing you to choose your server location, free SSDS, and turbo servers that are supposed to be 20x faster. A2 Hosting does offer other e-commerce hosting solutions, and if you are hosting a WooCommerce site through WordPress, the hosting provider has a plan for you too.
- Cloudways. Cloudways is a managed Magento hosting that utilizes AWS and other network infrastructures to form a massive grid of servers. This type of Magento hosting is ideal of users who have global visitors and would like dozens of server location options. Cloudways helps to boost site loading speeds through its specialized enhancement and keeps your Magento CMS safe through regular security scans and updates.
- SiteGround. SiteGround is great for standard business owners who are looking for performance-optimized Magento hosting. The Magento hosting company utilizes a powerful Supercacher with a content delivery network system to help your e-commerce site to load as fast as possible. SiteGround also gives you a website builder, SSD storage, SSL certificate, daily site backups, and unlimited email accounts. This Magento hosting provider also specializing in other forms of e-commerce hosting like WooCommerce and offers managed WordPress.